First meeting

I finally arrived at the hotel, with a bottle in my hand, and made my way to my room. Tonight I was going to try and forget everything.

I didn't care how I would feel tomorrow. I knew that I wouldn't have too many good days, in the foreseeable future, and only had the birth of my son to look forward to. 

I cracked open the rum and started taking swigs from the bottle not bothering with the glass.

Fighting back tears, I opened my icloud and pulled up videos of me and Charlie.  Videos from when we were happy and believed that we had the rest of our lives together.

"Are you kidding me? This was my spot. How the hell did you not see me waiting with my indicator clearly on?"

I saw a stunning blonde bombshell walking towards me and my interest was immediately pequed. It took me a few seconds to realize that she was yelling at me.

"What?" I scratched my head missing what she said completely.

"The spot idiot, you just stole it from me" she pointed at her car then mine.

Oh....

"Sorry. Honestly I wasn't paying attention. I'm running late for one of my first big cases and I'm stressing. I've been circling this damn lot for twenty minutes and saw the car pull out. I wasn't trying to be a dick. Here, I'll move." My blood pressure was surging and I thought I was going to pass out.

This was not the first impression I wanted to make on the new partner or this woman.

"It's fine. Don't worry about it," she sighed and started walking back to her vehicle.

"No, it's not fine. I'm sorry. Truly. Here, please let me make it up to you" I tried to Keep her from leaving. If I didn't get her name and number I'd never see her again.

"Seriously it's ok. I gotta find something else too. Good luck with your case" she gave me a small wave and got in her car.

I was tempted to just pull my vehicle out and give the spot back to her but I couldn't piss my bosses off any further. I was already pushing it with the time.

I made my way into the courthouse and found the small meeting room positioned before the doors to the courtroom .

The defendant and one of the law firms partners were already there. I got a look of disapproval as I walked in but they continued talking without skipping a beat.

"I was just going trough everything with Mr.dale." He gave me a fake smile and continued the briefing. 

Thirty minutes later we were setting up at the front of the courtroom when I saw her walk in and get settled to the right of us at the other table.

Interesting, was she a lawyer too?

Another woman joined her and soon we were standing up to allow the judge to enter.

"We are here to hear the case of Mr dale vs Ms Morawski....."

I tuned everything out and waited to see what she did.

When her lawyer stood up and began talking, I realized she was the plaintiff and the woman of my dreams was on the opposing side.

The case was heard and settled in less than a week and we lost an embarrassing defeat. The defendant was a professor that stole Charlie's work and published it as his own. It was proven that this wasn't the first time he did this, but got away with it, for one reason or another, the other times. 

I was tasked with the settlement and got to spend more time with her. I spent the next half dozen meetings trying to make her laugh at any chance I got.

She seemed like someone who didn't care about money or material things. Her laughter was like music to my ears and I was willing to offer her anything to keep  her happy.

She took a smaller settlement than we were willing to offer and, even with my push to ask for more, she was happy with what she got.

When I asked her out my palms were sweaty and I was more nervous than when I wrote the bar.  She accepted and I realized a woman like her comes along once in a life time. 

I remember walking home, after our first date, and stopping by the jewelry store around the corner from my house.

I swore that I would make this woman my wife if my life depended on it. 

Now sitting here years later alone in the hotel room. I not only broke her emotionally but was the direct reason for her death.

I downed the rest of the booze and let the dark overtake me.