Chapter 14

"I was the girl for Kalem? Oh, no. Of course not. Not in my dreams would I agree to be that.

Fear began to invade me. Was the brunette developing stronger feelings towards me? No, no. Suddenly, I felt the urge to distance myself from him. I couldn't help it.

"Heather," Kalem touched my cheek, my expression seeming to worry him, "there's no pressure, relax, I didn't mean to scare you." Suddenly, he enveloped me in a loving embrace, still sitting in the chair while I stood frozen in place. "The last thing I want is that."

Just then, someone entered the kitchen. Someone not at all pleasant.

"Well, I just came for a glass of water," came her irritating voice.

Kalem separated slightly, but didn't stop hugging me. The brunette's forehead creased upon seeing her.

Yes, that's right, Kalem. Gabriela the troublemaker.

"What's this spider doing in my house?" I grimaced in annoyance, and she laughed without grace, crossing her arms.

"Your mom invited mine and me, not like I want to be here," she scoffed, then her gaze fell on Kalem. I wasn't blind to notice how she looked at him. Gabriela smiled slyly. "It seems you've gotten over Matt, or are you still trying to forget him?"

I let out a nasal laugh, but what was this girl saying? I felt Kalem tense at her words.

"Not even mosquitoes bother as much as you, miss," I took Kalem's hand to get him up and out of there without looking back at her. I didn't want to hear her anymore.

We went up the stairs, and I took Kalem to my room, which he had already seen. I closed the door and walked straight to the large windows, opening them and sticking my legs out to sit on the edge. I heard the brunette walk quickly towards where I was.

"Oh, Heather. Don't you dare fall from there," hearing the concern in his voice made me smirk a little. My gaze was forward, and suddenly I felt Kalem sit beside me.

"I do this every day. Relax, dude."

"This is very high, Heather," he looked down, then placed a hand on the window sill to steady himself. I raised an eyebrow when Kalem used his other hand to hold my wrist. "It's to prevent falls, and considering you have had several of those, little writer, I'll feel better if you let me do it."

I nodded my head, and he smiled.

"Although I'll believe it's just an excuse of yours because you're afraid of heights," I smirked.

"I'm not afraid of heights, I'm afraid you'll get hurt," he said, not taking his blue eyes off me. "Besides, I've escaped from home through my window several times. Thank goodness I haven't broken anything." He chuckled.

"Speaking of which, your house is huge. I'm sure your bathroom is bigger than my room, but I didn't have time to find out," I made a face, and Kalem smiled, his gaze on my lips. "Then, your mom arrived, and well, you know. I don't want to be nosy because my mom says it's impolite, but I couldn't help but notice the tension in the air when she arrived."

"Do you want me to tell you about my parents, future girlfriend?" He lowered his gaze for a few seconds and then looked at me again.

"I'll continue to omit the nickname, but yes. Get talkative like you did with my dad," I said, making him smile a bit.

"It's nice to spend time with your parents, but I can't say the same about mine." He made a face and turned his head to the front, and I followed suit. It was a great view of the sunset. "I love them, they're my family. And even though they say the same, it doesn't feel like it. They have busy lives with their work, I get it, but I would have liked to spend Christmas and birthdays with them, not just with the nanny."