Chapter 10

My body is coated with little bumps as a chill rocks through my frame. The air is heated, but I feel as though I am standing in the midst of an icy storm. Those of us who are taking part in the bride hunt have been lined up crossing the entire open battlefield that the horde members used to engage in fighting.

We were informed that once the horn has been blown; we were to run forward and wait for a male to engage us.

I can't hold the nerve wrecking my body. My palms are shaking furiously, my heart threatening to punch out of my rib cage as I remain utterly still and wait for my questionable future.

My eyes glance around and sweep over the male horde members on the other side of the battlefield, they look ferocious.

They all have painted their face with red and white war wax, and they all look like they are prepared to battle, and battle vigorous now.

I make certain not to allow my eyes to remain on any one male longer than I should. I don't wish to capture the consideration of them before the hunt has indeed started.

The kings are standing in the middle, arms crossed, and glaring straightforward.

The north king, better recognized as the cold king intimidates the hell out of me. Every word the man speaks turns out with a snarl, and he doesn't look like he would be a soft-voiced mate.

He is the oldest of the four kings and has been his horde tribe's king for many years.

His predecessor fell in a heroic battle long ago, and he was required at a premature age to step up and pick up the responsibility.

I have heard stories over the years that he beats his slaves when they don't show him the proper respect he deserves.

One rumor was that he had a girl whipped on a fire night in front of the entire horde all because she dropped his sword.

His long black hair is what alarms me the most. It's the lengthiest out of practically all the males here, and that symbolizes he has yet to lose a battle. I'm uncertain how I feel about that.

I don't know much about the other kings; it was just something about that one king that had me asking questions about.

I'm not attracted to him or anything, as I mentioned he alarms me. He wholly terrifies me, but every time I have seen him over the years, he makes his existence known, and it's tough to avoid a man such as him.

I evaded him, repeatedly made sure to give the man a large variety of field whenever he came over to visit with my king.

“Brothers and sisters, we are here for the cycle hunt. We have selected the males that have presented us their strength. They have raided, they have plundered, and they have showed their right to choose a mate this period's cycle. You females can breathe soft, knowing that the male that embraces you will be prepared to provide for you and your offspring,” our king exploded from the other part of the field. “They will provide a tent for you,” the men shouted further. This time I can hear the honor in their cries. “They will provide you with safety.”

The men behind him all raised their hands, thumped their chest, and thundered in triumph. They were all pride - filled men standing noble behind their monarchs.

“Let the hunt begin,” the kings barked, and a loud horn blared in the clearing signaling that it was time for us females to gallop like frenzied women into the open field, offering up our bodies to get beat on, and then rutted inside.

I inhaled in a sharp breath, tried to brace my courage in my rocking limbs, peered over at several women who were standing on both sides of me and extended them a slight encouraging smile, even though I'm not feeling assured myself at the moment.

I know there are females standing with me that are highly anxious than I am, and I wish to at least try to make this experience a little better.

Smiles can go a long way in terrible situations, and this is definitely an unfortunate situation that we all find ourselves in.

I rushed the breath out and bound forward. My legs continued to shudder as I ran full speed towards the male horde members, praying they would all ignore me. My supervisor told us that if we made it past the horde members, that means we were not picked, and we could retire to our tents. That is the only wish I have right now.

My eyes widened as I observed several horde males rushed forward, eyes locked on a female behind me, ropes out, ready to battle for the right to mate them.

More and more males flew forward, human females screamed in terror as they began fighting off powerful lust - filled horde males.

I watched in disgust as males began forcibly undressing the females, reaching out and ripping their beautiful dresses to strings when they prepared to start the mating right.

I was happy that some females were putting up a little fight, some were submissive and practically threw themselves onto the ground ready to take horde cock.

Those females who were submitting were horde females that were ready to be mated, and not wanting to give us human females the opportunity to take the males away from them.

“Leave me alone, I don't want a mate,” one human girl shrieked as she attempted to fight off a much bigger horde male.

“You are mine,” I heard him growl as he swung his hand forward, tossed his rope around her waist, and began to drag the poor female towards him.

Poor girl.

My eyes landed another pair. The female was actually chasing after a horde male and to me it looked like she was trying to force him to mate with her. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Her long legs comfortably maintained pace with the male as she chased him down, shredding off her dress as she lurched forward and forced them both to the ground.

“Get off, female,” the male roared in her face. “You are embarrassing us both.”

I knew some horde females were desperate to mate, but I didn't actually believe they would be the ones hunting. I'm sure that's not how cycle hunt is supposed to happen and if the male doesn't mate with her, she will get punished for her insolence behavior.

I watched as another male grabbed a female by her hair and jerked her down on the earths floor. I was scared that she would get hurt that I wasn't watching where I was placing my feet, and I ended up tripping over a rock.

I tripped and fell forward. Pain shot through my side. Quickly jumping to my feet, I raised my head to continue my dash to safety and came face to face with him.

The king.