1

A Challenging Morning

Ella woke up to the sound of her alarm clock ringing relentlessly. She groggily opened her eyes, realizing that it was time to start another day.

"Ella, gumising kana diyan, you're going to be late for school," her mom shouted from downstairs.

"Okay, ma," Ella replied, her voice still filled with sleepiness.

She slowly got out of bed and made her way to the bathroom to freshen up.

As she went through her daily routine, she couldn't help but notice the pimples that dotted her face.

Ella sighed, feeling self-conscious about her appearance. Despite her insecurities, she put on her school uniform and headed downstairs for breakfast.

Sitting at the dining table, Ella ate her breakfast in silence.

Her mind was preoccupied with the thought of facing another day at school, where she was often the target of bullying.

She longed for the day when she could escape this torment.

"Hi, Ella," Sarah greeted her as they waited for their teacher to arrive.

"Hi," Ella responded, forcing a smile. The two friends tried to enjoy their meal in peace, but their tranquility was short-lived.

Jeclir, a notorious bully, entered the cafeteria and immediately targeted Ella and Sarah. "Look, the two pigs are eating," Jeclir sneered, loud enough for everyone to hear. Laughter erupted from the surrounding students, amplifying Ella's humiliation.

Ella clenched her fists, trying to maintain her composure. "Ignore them, Sarah. They aren't worth our time," Ella whispered, hoping to drown out the hurtful comments. But Jeclir wasn't done yet. She approached Ella, demanding that she repeat what she had said. "What did you say could you repeat it baboy"

"I said, 'Why should we waste our time on someone useless? Before you talk to me, Jeclir, know your place. Maybe you should talk to me when you have a 90 in your report card,'" Ella replied, her voice filled with determination.

Jeclir's anger flared, and she raised her hand, ready to strike Ella. But just in time, Jewel, Ella's cousin, intervened.

"Jeclir, what did I tell you about this? Find the right time to bully her, or you'll get in trouble. You know the teacher is going to believe her," Jewel warned, protecting Ella from harm.

Jeclir glared at Ella one last time before storming out of the cafeteria, accompanied by Jewel. Tears welled up in Ella's eyes, but she fought hard to hold them back. She didn't want to give her bullies the satisfaction of seeing her cry.

Class eventually ended, and Ella made her way home with a swollen cheek from Jeclir's  slap when she gets out from the school gate.

As she entered the house, her mom noticed her bruised face. "Anak, are you okay? What happened to your face?" her mom asked, concern evident in her voice.

Ella shook her head, unable to find the words to explain what had transpired.

She retreated to her room, where she lay on her bed, exhausted both physically and emotionally. Slowly, she drifted off to sleep, hoping for a better tomorrow.