Chapter 33

I feel much better than yesterday. I'm still tired, but it's my usual 'I work too much' tired. I want to ask Joanna on a date so that we can talk about that night, but I know it's too soon. I also wonder what I should do with the information I have, or what I can do.

I want to do something about it, no one should have to work for their parents' love. It's a gift, just like God's love. It depresses me thinking about how many people face the same trauma.

I'm on my way to work right now. The roads are quite busy, but there is no traffic. I live on the quieter side of the city, so there usually isn't traffic. I get to the building and go inside.

After work, Anna asks if we can go for a walk in the park. I do need a breather. The park isn't far from where I work, so I leave my car there.

"You know, it's been a while since we've hung out. How have you been?" Anna asks.

"Stressed out, my sister's wedding is in 3 months, and I promised my mom I would go on leave a week before it," I explain. Anna looks sympathetic.

"But how are you going to get Joanna to give you a week off?" Anna asks.

"I have absolutely no idea," I answer.

"Well, if you ever need my help, just call me. Your sister deserves to have you at her wedding," Anna smiles.

"Thank you, Anna," I give her a hug. She instinctively hugs me back. I've been needing a hug. We continue our walk, staring at the fountain. The dark waters shimmer from the stars in the sky.

"So, how have you been?" I ask.

"Not too bad. The number of people hurting themself at work has decreased," Anna says.

"That's great to hear," I reply.

"It is. As much as I love to help those who are injured, I don't want them injured in the first place," Anna explains.

"Well, not everyone is strong enough to go through challenges in life. They find hurting themselves an easier coping mechanism," I tell her.

"Could you ask Joanna to have security go through people's bags? Then, if they have anything dangerous, it can be confiscated," Anna asks. Does everyone think I can just ask Joanna for favours and she'll just agree. She may be my girlfriend, but she's still the boss.

"Sure, I'll see what I can do. How's your brother?" I ask.

"He's doing well. He's actually taking me to a birthday party of one of his friends this weekend," Anna answers.

"That sounds fun," I say.

"It should be, it's on their boat and my brother always talks about how amazing it is," she explains.

"I wish I could go with you," I sigh.

"Me too," Anna smiles. We walk back to my car, and I drive her home. Once I get back to my house, I make myself some noodles and go to sleep.

The next morning, I send Joanna a text. It's been a day since her hangover, so I'm sure she's doing better. I drive over to work; you can see frost on the door. Nothing new. I head to my cubicle and get to work.

While working on the computer, I get a notification of an email. It's from Joanna. I tap on mail and open the message.

Good afternoon Howard,

I want you to come to my office at 7pm. Not a minute later.

Regards,

Joanna Clieves

It's been a day since her hangover... I'm sure everything's fine. Sure, this is the first time Joanna's ever sent anyone an email during work hours, but it doesn't mean something's wrong. Everything's ok... right?

At 7pm, I go straight to Joanna's office. It's not easy pushing through everyone trying to get out of here as fast as they can without looking like deranged fans who just saw a celebrity walk down the street. I walk inside her office.

"Good evening, Howard. Sit down," Joanna says. She looks calm, so there shouldn't be a problem. I sit on the chair.

"I want you to have breakfast with me tomorrow at 5 o'clock. Go to this cafe," she hands me a paper with an address on it. I wasn't expecting that, but it definitely could've been worse.

"Don't be late," she says.

"Yes Ms. Clieves," I say. I wonder if I'll ever be able to call her by her first name. It feels like I should just call her Ms. Clieves.

"You're dismissed," she says. I get up and leave the office. Once I get to my car, I drive to the grocery store.

When I go inside, I notice that there's a head of blond curls at the cash register. It's Charlie. It's 7 o' clock, why isn't Arthur here? I get my groceries and head to the counter.

"Hey Charlie, isn't it time for Arthur's shift?" I ask. She pushes her purple glasses up.

"Yeah, but he said he'll be running late, so I'm filling in for him," Charlie answers.

"Well, can you let him know I was looking for him when you see him?" I say.

"Sure," she replies. I take the groceries and head home.