Chapter 34

At half past 4, I get in my car. The cafe is a twenty-minute drive, so I decided to go earlier in case there's traffic on that side.

Lucky for me, no traffic. I get to the cafe on time. It's a French themed cafe, similar to the ones in Paris-based movies. I can see a black Phantom Series 2, so I know Joanna's already inside.

Once I get in, I see Joanna at a table in the far corner. There's a well-dressed man speaking to her, but she looks annoyed. Uh oh.

I walk over to the table. Now that I'm closer, I can tell that he's flirting with her. Thanks for putting her in a mood before I even talk to her.

"Hello Joanna, is this a friend of yours?" I ask. Playing the jealous boyfriend is probably not the best option. And I'm not jealous either way. I should expect other men to flirt with her, since she is gorgeous.

"Just a stranger, no one important," Joanna says sternly.

"You wound me. Can't I at least be called an acquaintance?" he says. It's clear Joanna doesn't want him here

"Well, I'm here to have lunch with my girlfriend. So, if you don't mind." I look at the empty chair, implying that he should move. The man's face falls, and he walks away.

"Lucky bastard," he murmurs. I sit in the chair, relieved he's gone. Joanna's expression has softened, but she still looks annoyed. Just great.

"Good morning, Howard," she greets.

"Good morning," I reply. I pick up the menu to see what I want. We are having breakfast.

"I want to talk about what you told me the other day," Joanna announces. If I'd been eating something, I would've choked on it.

"Oh, I thought you were satisfied with my explanation," I say.

"I could tell there was more, but I'd had a splitting headache. Now that I'm not hungover, I want to know the rest," she explains. She'll probably get that headache back once I tell her. People usually aren't very happy when they find out someone knows their personal problems.

"Ok... well..." What I would give to disappear from this moment.

"Spit it out Howard," Joanna says, impatiently. She's definitely not in a good mood.

"You told me some... personal things," I mumble. By the grace of God, the waiter walks to our table. I don't want to see Joanna's reaction right now.

"What would you like to order?" she asks.

"I'll have the breakfast sandwich with no avocado, and a cup of black coffee," I answer. The waiter turns to Joanna, and I can tell he's scared too. I finally look at her.

If looks could kill, I'd be long dead. If my teachers looked at me like this when I misbehaved, I'd have been the best student. She'll always be able to scare me, no matter what.

"I'll have waffles, and a cappuccino," she says. The waiter scribbles it down and leaves. Wish I could go with him.

"What personal things did I tell you?" she asks.

"...About your parents," I say. I should buy her a stress toy on our next date. Which reminds me. I open my briefcase and take out a box.

"I bought you a gift," I smile. I wasn't going to come to breakfast empty handed. This is our first conversation since the meeting in her office. Joanna takes it. She opens the box, inside is a golden necklace. There's a white heart, and next to it a gold plate that's engraved, Romans 8:38.

Joanna's family is Catholic, so I'm hoping she is too. She seems indifferent to the necklace, but her expression is a bit softer. She puts the necklace in her bag.

"I told you about my relationship with my parents, correct?" she repeats. I nod.

"What did I tell you specifically?" she asks.

"That, you've been trying to make them proud for so long and you feel nobody loves you," I answer. Joanna looks at nothing in particular, she's in deep thought. The waiter brings our orders.

"Howard, I want you to act as if that night never happened. Whatever I told you, erase it from your mind. It must be a forgotten memory, understand?" she explains. I don't want to comply. I want to interfere and help her somehow.

"Don't you think-"

"I don't want your help. If I'd wanted anyone's help, I would've asked for it long ago," she says. Long ago you still wouldn't have asked so that you had to depend on somebody.

"But I-" I try to speak.

"Don't get too comfortable, Howard. We still have a work relationship where I am your boss," she reminds me. I stay quiet and eat my food. After breakfast, we drive to work in our cars.

I'm going to think of some way to help her. Just to let her finally express her emotions and let it all out. Getting her to give me a day off would just be a bonus. My real focus is to help Joanna soften her hardened heart.