41. Foiled Plan and Night Chat

It was time to go.

The Court Lady, whom I belatedly learnt was called Ingrid, didn't bat an eyelid as she escorted me down at night. She wasn't as unfriendly as when she first met me, though I suspected this change wasn't done out of kindness, but boredom. After all, no one liked punching soft cotton.

I didn't react, didn't try to strike a conversation, didn't even acknowledge her most of the time, and I could see now that it was the way she preferred our relationship to be - cold and distant.

To everyone in this Court, I was Tauryn's pet - a kept Halfling - and it mattered not that Tauryn treated me better than he would to other women; at the end of the day, I was just that - a human, half or full-blooded.

"His Highness told me you'd be back by morning," Ingrid's eyes still held contempt, but her tone was much milder than before.

It was all the result of letting the Court's assumption run wild - that I was merely a poor, young orphan with no idea of my parentage nor my Siren potentials. I was no threat to the throne and the Court, nor was I ever a worthy opponent to the hopeful ladies waiting to be Consorts. The weaker they thought I was, the better.

"Yes," I replied, tightening the shawl around my arms as fresh, mountain air rushed in the moment the door was opened. My eyes wandered around, trying to memorise the way as best as I could.

Two guards were stationed in this entrance that separated the Feys and their ruling Courts. The red-haired female was extremely muscular, and about half a head taller than the pale, dark-haired male. Their postures were rigid and they were hostile to each other.

"Then I shall wait here for your return at sunrise," Ingrid said before taking a few steps back to put more distance between us. She disliked our close proximity as if I reeked of something foul. I had grown accustomed to such treatment in El Basta that it fazed me no more.

"His Highness asked me to relay to you," She paused, unhappiness written all over her features, "That you should come back to him by breakfast."

I tried to hide it, but the sweetness found its way to my lips. Ingrid seemed appalled by the smile on my face, as if the sight offended her so much she would rather blind herself than look. My smile turned even more genuine when I realised that she hated my happiness as much as I detested her disdain.

"See you tomorrow, then," I casually waved and walked out of the door without looking back. She could be cursing me seven ways to heaven and I wouldn't even care.

I was familiar with this part of Slieveaglen, despite only exploring it for the few days that I was here. The small pathway outside of the Courts' entrance was a neutral ground - everything after that wasn't. So I chose to say goodbye to the troupe first before heading to Greta's, in case anyone was following me to report back to Tauryn.

Atlas was the first face I saw when he opened the front door of their lovely cottage without an ounce of friendliness on his face. He thought his duty was done and the debt paid, as I once assured him it would be, but I could see now that he was somewhat dissatisfied still. Of what, I couldn't be sure of.