42. Playing with Fire

"She is sick."

It came out deadpanned, more of a statement than a question.

Ingrid tried to gouge his reaction, but Tauryn's face came out blank, like an expressionless statue devoid of warmth and life. He sat in front of a long table filled with Iris' favourite food - all human consumables that Ingrid had not once seen in her life until recently. Ingrid didn't even know how religious Tauryn could be with breakfasts until Iris came.

All these should speak volumes of the preferential treatments the King had given to the new human. The Court Lady didn't understand why. Beneath surface level, there was nothing to see about the pretty little doll who was equally devoid of emotion as the King. She never spoke up, never complained, never talked back. Just like a porcelain doll - albeit a very pretty one.

"She seems rather unwell, yes," Ingrid replied.

"Did she visit the troupe as she said she would?"

"Yes, for a good few hours," She parroted whatever was told to her by the guard Tauryn sent to 'protect' her. A mere shadow, following the girl around for the entirety of her stay outside of the Court. Tauryn might like her a little, but he was suspicious by nature and wanted to be sure that he knew everything about everyone.

"Did she meet up with anyone else?"

Ingrid didn't like this version of the King - emotionless, detached, terrifying. At least she wasn't the subject of his scrutiny.

"She did, Your Highness," She hesitated, unsure of what his reaction would be.

"Go on," Tauryn encouraged her, but his voice wasn't at all filled with positive encouragement.

"She took a detour and came across the Unseelie Prince along the way," Ingrid replied, lowering her head further, fearing his wrath would come onto her.

Instead Tauryn merely tapped his fingers on his chair, his usual smile - the one the Court was used to seeing - appeared on his face. It was exceedingly calm and calculative.

"She met Aric?"

There was never a day where the Seelie King and the Unseelie Prince got along well. Perhaps there never would be. While one was fire and warmth, the other was all frost and darkness.

Though they were taught since birth to hate each other to the bones, Tauryn had, in all honesty, never envisioned ruling alongside anyone else but Aric. Alas, everyone underestimated just how unpredictable the current Unseelie ruler could be.

Tauryn caressed an invitation engraved in a piece of dark ebony thoughtfully. He wasn't sure having a weak Unseelie King would be completely beneficial for him and his Court, but one should always wait and see.

"Yes," Ingrid replied, "We couldn't be certain of the things they talked about, but it didn't look peaceful. The Missus ran away not long after."