Chapter 45. Secrets

Olivia woke in terror that following morning. It was the same old nightmare: the beast and her mother's passing, the promised events of death and desolation to the people she knew. She expected to feel her magic drained from her every time she closed her eyes because she could see it again and again, but her magic was still strong and unharmed.

"Ms. O'Brien?" she looked around to see the person who called her, and she almost fell on the bed when she saw Albus Dumbledore. Her eyes were glistening with tears. She knew this wasn't the right time to be in a state of another breakdown, but she couldn't control herself.

It was a strange feeling, watching the brilliant Professor gaze at her like she was a laboratory specimen in need of extreme examination. She hated being vulnerable, she hated her ability, and she hated herself. She fears what will happen because she feels guilty that if she didn't manage to stop the dark events that would prevail soon enough, a lot of people would die.

"Tell me what you saw, Ms. O'Brien" his voice was short but demanding. She needed to tell someone, but she didn't want to be the cause of the panic in their world. She told him bits of information, leaving one single detail she knew she should only keep to herself. No can know... No one.

Dumbledore sensed that she wasn't being entirely truthful, but he had to trust her choices. Like him, she was mysterious and selective with her words, for sometimes oversharing information can disrupt the things that should happen.

He swore not to tell anyone what she had revealed to him, particularly Severus Snape and Hermione Granger. Once they learned what she saw, they might engage themselves to reckless acts of saving people who are meant not to survive in the upcoming war.

Snape visited her a half hour later, and he seemed less thoughtful than he ever was from yesterday. He was back from being the snarky, cruel Potions Professor of Hogwarts.

"Are you okay?" his question was still austere and lacking awe, but she couldn't help but smile at that.

"Are you okay?" she didn't mean to repeat her words. She just needed to know if he's alright. That day in the garden where Snape and Hermione Granger spoke, she was there. She didn't mean to eavesdrop, but she had to see it. She had to know.

Snape was as silent as the morning breeze, not daring to speak a word to her. He remembered their previous encounter before this problem came, and he understood that she was still angry with him.

"What happened?" Snape knew that question. She was asking about him and Hermione. He didn't know what to say. What would he say? He was downright rejected by the woman he loves, and now he couldn't properly function? How juvenile would that sound? He is Severus Snape, Potions Master of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, the most abhorred yet respected teacher. He was rather feared than loved, or so he says. Fear means respect, dominion over the others.

"Did she say that she could never return your feelings?" Snape decided to put his mask securely to his face this time. But still, he didn't say anything. He couldn't trust himself to speak.

"She loves you. Believe me, I know that. " she looked at him, and now she finally owned his attention. Snape was shaking his head in acceptance and resignation.

"Don't..."

"How can I help you?" she was feeling down to see her professor in such a state. He was strong in the outside, but now, no matter how much he tries to conceal his pain, the cracks are very much naked to the eyes.

"Stay alive," he said sharply. He didn't want to involve her with his petty struggles because her role in this war was essential. Her magic will aid a lot of people, especially Harry Potter, in defeating the Dark Lord.

He left the room without another word. He couldn't bring himself to look back because the tears he kept on preventing fall were slowly caressing his face in a slow motion. As the door closes, a fresh batch of tears falls from her eyes. She wanted to fulfil his request. She wanted to be there til the end, but she knew some things were not just meant to happen.

"I'm sorry, I can't..."

❄❄❄

Hermione sat rigid and afraid at the Conference Hall. She didn't understand the importance of believing O'Brien's words. What if she's just faking it? She's just trying to make herself look relevant in their community, and her words are nothing but lies.

As the door of the room opened, she saw me, Professor Galbraith, trembling uncontrollably. He just left his sleeping quarters and decided to stroll around the castle. He was obviously unaware of his physical appearance, his hair tousled, and his face wet from his drying tears. He went to the Conference Hall in hopes of finding a solution to his dilemma. He needed to know if Ms. O'Brien has already recovered. He needed to speak to her.

"Professor, are you well?" Hermione interrupted his train of thoughts, and he watched her with wide eyes. He covered his face with his palms, trying to convince himself that he should tell her that he was okay. But he wasn't.

"Is she okay? Is Ms. O'Brien feeling alright?"

Hermione flinched at his question but tried not to show it to him. Even him speaks of that pernicious Ravenclaw. What on Earth is happening?

"Is there anything you wish to tell me?" she offered him a seat, and he gladly accepted it. He was eager to tell her what was occurring inside him at the moment, but he was far too broken to properly construct statements for his confession.

"Stella..."

Hermione could never forget that name. It was the name he kept on saying the day that O'Brien touched him and demonstrated her magic. Who is she? Why does she have a huge effect on him?

"Tell me everything, Sir. I will always be here. I promise. "

Professor Galbraith finally nodded in agreement and wiped his tears off his face. He took a deep breath before he narrated his tale regarding a girl named Stella.