𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟓: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭

The trophies and awards the school had earned were well deserved

The volleyball team was bringing their best, they came to win their games. All season their team had been winning, making it to the semi-finals. It was down to four schools, if they won this game, they'd make it to the finals to compete for the title of state champions. Everyone was in high spirits for a win, considering the scores from past games, it seemed like an easy win for the team. The hours of practice they'd put in were finally about to pay off.

The team was preparing themselves in the locker room. Now that Alaina had a somewhat neutral relationship with the V4, the team was a little more friendlier to her. They were just as serious as her about winning, so personal feelings mattered little during these moments.

Coach Carter entered, calling attention with her whistle. "Alright ladies, let's focus and give it our all. Remember to communicate and support each other out there. Everything you've done has led up to now, show them what we're made of." They didn't need much motivation, confidence was high among the team. All they needed to do was perform.

The gymnasium buzzed with anticipation as the two teams prepared to face off in the tournament matches. Practically the entire school was there to show their support and cheer on their team. The same went for the rival school, both sides were packed. The semi-finals were not to be taken lightly by either school.

On one side of the net, Beaumont's girls took their positions on the court. The team exchanged encouraging words amongst themselves, wishing one another luck and going over their game plan. Across from them, the visitors were focused and ready, some nervous glances shared between them knowing the success rate they were going against.

Alaina peered wistfully at the bleachers, absently tracing circles around the pendant hanging from her neck. She looked at all the families that had come to watch their kids play, her parents should have been there too. They hadn't missed a game since her first, always coming to support her. If her father ended up being busy, then her mother would be there. But this time, neither of her parents could make it. She'd come to terms with it after a couple of games, yet she couldn't completely shake away the feeling of missing them.

The crowd settled down as the game was about to begin, the referee had the whistle at his lips. Focusing on the team across from her, Alaina leaned forward and readied herself. Her setter rolled the ball around, planning to spike the ball when surprised reactions sprang among their audience. Last minute spectators had arrived and the crowd was astounded by their entrance. This was their debut for a volleyball game or a school game of any kind for that matter.

Alaina glanced over to the gymnasium doors, caught by surprise. "No way."

It wasn't hard to guess why the trio was here, another first to add to the list. They made their way to the front rows of the home team, directly to the right of Alaina. Cordie gave a friendly wave, smiling excitedly at her and giving her a thumbs up. Brendan did a two-finger salute, a date on his other hand. Then there was Damon, he smiled faintly and lowered his gaze.