184

“Minister! And everyone else! How have you been?”

“Hoho, we’ve been well. But you really stirred up quite the trouble today, didn’t you?”

Puffing out her cheeks and waving her hand, Reina naturally blended into the group from the Ministry of Health.

“Ah. This is nothing compared to the troubles I’ve caused in the past.”

As she playfully pouted her lips, one of the ministry’s members smiled gently at her.

“Intern… Ah, no, it’s Director Reina now, isn’t it?”

“You can call me whatever you’re comfortable with.”

“Is that so? But Director Reina, sometimes you seem more mature than anyone else, yet at other times, you’re endlessly and unquestionably like a child.”

“Is that an insult or a compliment?”

“It’s both a compliment and a piece of criticism.”

This quasi-jocular banter elicited hearty laughter from those around. Having been together for over a year, they were all quite comfortable with each other, as if they were family.

Consequently, Reina, like a sulking youngest little sister, propped her chin with both hands and pouted.

“But my father imposed such a strict ban on chocolate. You all know, right? When you don’t get to have something that you like very much, forbidding it further only makes it more desirable.”

“That’s true.”

“I have something like that too. In my case, it’s alcohol, so I just exercise self-control.”

As a wave of agreement spread, Reina, seemingly frustrated, thumped her chest and continued her complaint.

“Right?! How much chocolate did they think I had for them to monitor me like that! Even now, after I’ve become independent, he’s ordered my attendants to hide chocolates from me! Can you believe it?”

“Hahaha, so that’s why you shouted ‘chocolate’ in response to His Highness’s question?”

“Hehe, yeah.”

“Director Reina is really something else. Right, Minister?”

“Ohoho.”

In the midst of this congenial conversation, Reina’s face, lately marred by fatigue, gradually brightened.

Of course, even amidst this, she never forgot the responsibilities and duties currently entrusted to her.

It was all an act, after all.

With a buoyant expression, Reina thought of ‘Ferrero Rosé’ and feigned a blissful look, her eyes twinkling.

“Think about it, guys. Ferrero Rosé, Ferrero Rosé! Imagine having that famous place stationed in my house’s kitchen! Isn’t that just like heaven?”

“Haha, I knew about Director Reina’s love for chocolate, but I didn’t realize it was to this extent.”

“But now that you mention it, Director, it’s indeed remarkable.”

“Right?!”

“But isn’t Ferrero Rosé a bit of a stretch? They are known for their pride, after all.”

“Hmm… That might be true, but if it’s an order from His Majesty the Emperor, wouldn’t they have no choice? If not possible, so be it. If possible, they should bow deeply!”

Everyone burst into laughter at the woman’s innocent proclamation.

“Really, Director Reina is unpredictable.”

“Yet still young enough to show such innocence in front of His Majesty the Emperor and His Highness the Grand Duke.”

“So, Director Reina. How do you plan to collaborate with Ferrero Rosé?”

With the last question, everyone’s gaze focused on Reina. They were evidently curious about the dessert that the main person behind the empire-shaking ‘sunglasses’ craze would create.

“I’ll have to think about that. It was just a spur-of-the-moment answer.”

Just then, the door to the lounge opened, signaling the resumption of the meeting.

Groups of people, who had been engaged in conversations, began to fix up their clothes and stand, heading back towards the audience chamber. Watching them, Reina whispered to Minister Grace standing beside her.

“Minister. How is Paul doing?”

With a kind expression, the Minister’s eyes curled into crescent moons as she met Reina’s gaze.

“He’s doing well.”

The fine wrinkles at the corner of her eyes formed her signature, soothing smile that always brought a sense of relief to those who saw it.

At that warm response, a faint sense of worry passed through Reina.

Is something wrong with Paul, Minister?

Should she ask straightforwardly like that?

‘Hmm… I don’t know.’

Something was telling her that bringing up Paul might not be a good idea…

But why?

In a fleeting moment of contemplation, Reina ultimately couldn’t bring herself to voice her concerns.

Instead, she inadvertently went a step further, smoothly letting out a lie.

“That’s a relief. I’ve been so busy lately I told him not to visit.”

“Oh, I see.”

“Yes. So I was worried he might be upset back at the Bohr residence.”

Grace covered her mouth with her hand, her eyebrows knitting together in a show of concern.

“Oh dear. What to do. Especially since Paul had reddened eyes after that day he came to visit you, Director Reina.”

“…Really?”

“Hoho, just kidding.”

“You scared me, Minister. As much as Paul likes me, he’s not the type to cry over something like that.”

“Hohoho.”

It was an utterly mundane and normal conversation. And the words were impeccably natural.

But why this creeping sense of discomfort?

‘It feels somewhat… artificial.’

Intending to probe a bit more, Reina was about to speak when, unfortunately, the sound urging the start of the state council meeting echoed from afar.

“Please make your way to the audience chamber promptly!”

Their conversation had to end there.

“Shall we head in then, Director Reina?”

“Yes, Minister.”

Reina wore her usual bright expression, and Grace, too, had her typically kind face.

But, really. Was it Reina’s imagination, or was there a subtle tension, previously non-existent, now taut between them?