021 | love like ghosts

━━━━ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐄

love like ghosts ━━━━━

━━━━━▼━━━━━

. . . . . . B'OMARR RUINS, TETH

VENTRESS RAN AT WYNN, face contorted with fury, twin red sabers sparking against the ground as she dragged them. Wynn raised her arm to strike, but instead feinted to the left. Ventress stumbled into the empty space.

Obi-Wan realized then that he had never seen two Jar'kai users in a real, honest fight. It was dizzying to watch. He and Wynn traded off intermittently, using their advantage to corner Ventress and drive her up towards the roof of the temple. Night air crept in, erasing the scent of death.

"We know about Dooku's plot to turn the Hutts against us," Wynn said, somehow not out of breath. "It will not succeed."

Ventress slashed out again with her saber. "It will when the truth dies with you."

When Wynn laughed, it was a terrifying sound in the dark. "Please, Ventress, spare us the dramatics."

Wynn glanced toward the diamond-shaped window. She shared a half glance with Obi-Wan, who nodded, and then she launched herself through. Ventress looked between him and the direction Wynn had gone, torn.

"I was warned about you two," she told him. "A formidable set of Jedi together, even more so than apart."

"Well, I'll thank you for half of that compliment," he smiled.

Ventress rolled her eyes and ran towards Wynn.

By the time he had made it out the window and onto the stone bridge, Ventress was already jumping down to meet Wynn, whose back was turned. Wynn turned around too slowly, as if she hadn't known Ventress was coming up behind her. Obi-Wan was ready to jump over the edge just to get to her in time, but the fighting came to an abrupt stop. There was a change in the cold air. A ripple in the Force.
"I sense it, too," he called out. "Anakin is gone. You've failed, Ventress."

Ventress didn't listen and continued forcing Wynn back to the other end of the bridge. By then, Wynn was nearly messing with her. Ventress knew her time was up. Wynn continued to duck out of the way, letting Ventress get close and then leaning in the opposite direction. Finally, they came to the end of the bridge and Wynn pressed her saber against Ventress's.