03. PATHETIC EXCUSES

A week had passed since the disastrous attempt to teach Adelynn the basics of basketball, and already Wednesdays, filled me with dread. Yet, here I was again, walking into the chemistry lab for our next class, rolling my eyes for what felt like the hundredth time that day.

The morning had started predictably chaotic, with one of my sisters screaming and Mom nowhere in sight due to an early shift. Dodging curses thrown at me like I was a voodoo doll had become routine, though it hardly bothered me anymore. Rita rescued me by taking them off my hands and left me to make my way to school alone.

"I can't believe it's only third period," Courtney sighed, dropping into the seat next to me. "How was practice with Ade-lime?" she teased.

"Ade-lime?" I chuckled. "Why do you call her that?"

"She's like a sour lime—always putting me in a bad mood," Courtney explained, her expression dead serious.

Laughing, I replied, "Well, she's a terrible player, that's for sure." We dissolved into laughter, only stopping when the teacher entered the room.

Fifteen minutes later, the door burst open with a loud bang, interrupting Mrs. Gert mid-sentence.

"So we have hydro-"

"Young lady! Have you no manners? You're sixteen minutes late!" Mrs. Gert's scolding echoed through the room.

All eyes turned to the newcomer. Adelynn stood there, an air of boredom in her bright green eyes, her curls tied neatly in a ponytail. She wore jeans and a beautifully embroidered wool jumper adorned with tiny sunflowers. Despite the situation, I couldn't help but admire her.

Oh, how beautiful she looked.

---

Adelynn's unexpected interruption became the talk of the school by the day's end. Mrs. Gert's confrontation only fueled Adelynn's defiance—she simply turned and walked out, rolling her eyes for good measure. Mrs. Gert, resembling a boiling kettle, chased after her, and the incident escalated to the principal and calls to Adelynn's mother. And Adelynn didn't return to school that day.

"Hey, you want a ride home?" Rita asked me with a concerned look. It was an hour after school finished and Adelynn is supposed to come for training, if you can even call it that. And as to why Rita looks concerned? I have no idea.

"Umm it's okay, I'm waiting for someone, thanks though." I replied hastily. I mean I wouldn't have thought twice before getting in her car if it were any other day, but if Adelynn does ever show up I have to be here for her. So I can tell how her reputation with teachers will interfere with the fact if she's a part of the team or not, of course. Not that'll she'll ever score a goal let alone make it to the team.

Rita cocked her left eyebrow, a knowing smirk plastered on her rosy plump lips. "Oh! Does the Johnsons' little sister have someone special, someone she can take rides with? Oh! She's all grown up! Doesn't need aunty Rita anymore" she dramatically clutched her chest in mock pain. "Well I sure for one knows that, that boy is a very luck-"

"You know what, Courtney wanted to see me, I'll talk to you later."

I didn't wait for her to reply before dashing back into the homely, unhomely building. An uncertain feeling lingered in my chest. The way she just assumed it was a boy. I questioned why I'm getting revved up over something petty as such. Maybe Rita was...against...? No, no way. or maybe she didn't like the idea of me dating a girl? or maybe she thinks....I let my thoughts wander off.

---

I found myself seated near the entrance, watching raindrops transform into a torrential downpour. Thoughts swirled in my mind, echoing the emotional storm brewing within.