CHAPTER 1: CARNATION

The very first thing that caught my eye when I arrived there was the strict college's code and guidelines and the severity which the students were educated.

I collaborated with the headmistress Kane, a middle-aged, authoritarian lady, who offered me her total collaboration, even thought she did not miss to urge me not to cause any perturbance to the pupils.

She told me about the young girl, Evany Brewster, seventeen years old. "She is a good student, very gifted", she told me, "Evany has just a paternal aunt who pays her fee, but she is unable to keep her in the house".

It was immediately evident the pressure that the students were subjected to, which might have drove a girl without family support to attempt such an act.

When I first see Evany she, holding tight a teacher's arm, spoke only a few confused words.

I was informed that Evany sometimes sneaked out the teachers's surveillance and ran out the building.

I questioned about her closest friends and they brought to my attention two girls, Krizaya Sullivan and Aribel Rosenberg.

I asked if Evany or any other students had ever done any self-harm act, but the answer was negative.

I questioned the teachers: "How was the girl's behavior before the accident? Have you noticed any mood change or depression?", a teacher replied: "We didn't notice anything different. The girl behaved as usual",

"Is there any happening I should know? Any punishment or grades decline?", they shook their heads.

I started having conversations with the pupils, all of them seemed to be quite talkative, but not willing to talk about the incident.

Every morning I went to the college around 11 am, when lessons were finishing and I stayed until the afternoon.

In college there was a dress code, the girls had the hair tide up all the time.

The wake-up call was at 7 o'clock. In the morning the pupils had the school lessons and in the afternoon they had some activities such as embroidery and music.

On Sunday morning the Mass was held in the Chapel.

They were not allowed to listen to the radio. The teachers and the headmistress disciplined strictly; on one occasion a girl was punished for wearing too garish earrings.

Punishments such as beatings on the hands or straps on the buttocks were permitted, but not frequent.

The only contact they had with the outside world were their families's visits.

From time to time some boys on the street tried to look through the gate, but they just could see them from afar.

No boy had never managed to approach them, except one... .

*[1] According to Sigmund Freud, the Carnation in dreaming symbolizes the sexual desire.