Chapter 27 : Commitment

I was still sending glares at dad and trying to find out what mom actually wants out of this dinner when John texted me to tell me he would be here in 10 minutes. I took a deep breath "Mom, Dad, please be kind to him." I pleaded. "Yeah, yeah, you should actually be kind to MY friend who is coming over !" dad said. " What now ? Are we going to fight over who John belongs to ?" I said with an incredulous look. Dad just laughed at me, and went to the kitchen to check on the food.

John rang the bell. I went to open the door, and again got flustered at how casual but cool he looked with a simple dress shirt and pant. He obviously noticed and bent his head while saying "Aren't you staring a bit too much ?". "This girl is obviously taking after her mom John. She is just in her own world." Dad said while giving me a little hit. "Is it how you greet my guest ?" dad asked. "Dad ! I said he is mine !" I shouted without thinking. John widened his eyes and repressed a laugh while dad let out a sigh. Realizing what I just said, I just wanted to die right there. Why does my mouth work so quickly and fluently. "Well, well, you stole my husband and daughter's heart apparently. I am impatient to have mine stolen too tonight." My mom said, while giving a welcoming hug to John and telling him to come in.

The dinner was peaceful. Mom and Dad did not really pry too much into our relationship. They just asked about how we met and when we started dating. For the rest of the dinner we just talked about work, family, hobbies and dad and John running together. After dinner, I told my parents I would be taking a walk with John around the building and come back. Once we were alone, we talked about how funny my parents are and then I decided to go straight for it : "I thought it was a sign of commitment... This dinner with my parents... I was afraid of commitment but also about whether you would reject it.". He let out a sigh and kindly said "I was a bit taken aback too. It's true that we have been dating for some time now, and that the thought of us spending the rest of our lives together popped often nowadays. But I was afraid when this dinner was mentioned. I was afraid you did not think like me and kind of lashed out at you earlier. I know this dinner does not mean anything and that your parents just wanted to meet me casually but we both thought about it, and that king of made me feel anxious, anxious that maybe you don't feel the same as me.". Seeing doubt in his eyes, I held his hand and said "I like you. The thought of living with you and of spending my days with you only makes me happy and excited. I just got surprised and insecure earlier but see, it all went well right ?". After a pause he laughed. Then he said "Yeah you even claimed me as yours in front of your parents.". I hit him. "Why are you mentioning that, forget it !" I said. "That was legendary, I have to remember it forever." He said while dodging me. "Argh, I am so embarrassed." I said as I hid my red face with my hands. Being amused he said it again "Dad, I said he is mine !". I gave him a kick in the shin and ran away while he was laughing in pain now.