Chapter 5 - An Abysmal Dream

"Tell me that you love me... Even if it's fake"

That was it. Giyu had enough of Shinobu's drunken state, he didn't even know how she got drunk in the first place though.

Giyu laid up from his bed and plopped Shinobu off of his lap in an effortless manner, she had a light figure so it would make sense for him to be able to do stuff like that. "Enough. You are making a fool out of yourself. I need to get some sleep so that I can fulfill my duties as Water Hashira. Go back to your own bed so that we can both sleep peacefully." Giyu stated firmly. He took his line of work very seriously and knew that if he missed out on some important rest it could be the difference between saving civilians or not being fast enough to save them.

Shinobu did not give a response, she was just looking down and had a sad expression on her face.

Giyu tried to nudge her so that he could get her to go to her own bed but she wouldn't budge at all and was acting in a very stubborn manner.

"Kocho, go to your bed, we need to get some rest." Giyu tried asking her but she just shook her head as if to say 'no'

Giyu was getting tired of her antics but he didn't know what he could do to get her to go to sleep for his and her sake, but mainly for his sake. Then he heard her stomach growling and started formulating a plan.

He went into the kitchen which was where he had left the ingredients for ginger sukhodoni. He got a peeler from one of the drawers and started peeling the ginger. After the ginger was peeled he tried looking for a knife but couldn't find it so he just pulled out his katana and started cutting the ginger into strips. After that he got some water and poured it onto the bowl and placed it on the stove to cook the ginger. After placing the ginger into the bowl and letting it cook, Giyu put some soy sauce on it and then took the bowl of ginger sukhodoni and walked towards Shinobu who was still in the same spot.

"Here, I've been meaning to apologize for earlier today. Once you eat you must go to sleep okay?" Giyu told her quietly.

Shinobu didn't reply to him, Giyu figured she was giving him the silent treatment. He remembered that a few years back when his sister first introduced Masato to him, He was happy for his sister. But there was something that Giyu felt in his chest which he just couldn't ignore

Masato was a good man. He was very polite when they had dinner that night. Offering to wash the dishes with her when they had finished eating. But there was something off about Giyu. He just couldn't accept his sister loving someone more than him. It may make him look weak as a man for liking his sister so much. He would often be ridiculed by the kids in this village for being so clingy to her but they didn't go through the emotional struggles Giyu had gone through. He never could know the loving touch of a mom or dad. The only person who could provide any support for him was Tsutako and Giyu showed great appreciation for it.

"Masato-kun. Does the salmon taste good?" Tsutako asked. Clearly shy about having him over that night.

Before Masato could answer, Giyu piped in. "Of course it tastes good! You make the best food ever Nee-san!." Giyu said enthusiastically. To which Tsutako returned with a gentle smile.

"It tastes wonderful. Giyu is right. You do make the best food, Tsutako-san." Masato told her. Tsutako became very flustered and it was very evident for Giyu.

Giyu had always remembered how Tsutako had always glowed whenever Giyu complimented her on something. But when it comes to Masato she seems even happier to receive a compliment from him. It somewhat bugged Giyu since he was always used to being the one to compliment her but now someone else is in the picture. Giyu stopped giving it any more thought and continued eating the salmon, savoring every bite.