Chapter 10

The next day, Marianna forced Erik into normal clothes and tried to make him look as normal as possible. She had made up a cover story to explain who he was to her cast mates, and she was planning to bring him (against his will) to work with her.
"Now, Erik, remember, just don't talk to anyone. I'm going to tell them you're my voice trainer from America and you flew in to watch me rehearse. I'll tell them not to bother you, so you shouldn't have to speak to anyone."
"And how are you going to explain my mask? I assume that isn't the usual attire here."
"Don't worry, I have a plan. I'm just gonna tell them you're a super fan of the show. The fans of this show will do anything, I think they'll accept that explanation without question."
Erik didn't seem convinced, but stayed quiet. He still didn't want to go with her, but she had talked him into it by mentioning they could check the mirror for the time portal. If there was a chance of getting out of the future and back to his Christine instead of this imposter, he would be willing to stomach one day surrounded by people.
Marianna called for a cab again, and they silently rode to her studio, neither saying a word. When they arrived, she sent Erik to a small corner where he could sit and watch and then joined her castmates.
"Who is that man, Mari?" Kathy asked quietly upon seeing the stranger leering in the corner.
"My old voice teacher from America. He decided to fly in because I wasn't getting any help from my trainer here in London." Marianna said, hoping her lie would be convincing. She had never been a good liar, but she had also never been in a situation where lying was so important.
"Oh, good. Maybe him being here will boost your confidence. How long is he staying?"
"Uh, I'm not sure yet. However long he needs to, I suppose." Marianna twisted a strand of hair around her finger, biting her lip nervously. She silently hoped that no more questions would be asked, or else it would be a lot harder hiding Erik's true identity.
The day went by normally, with Marianna and the cast spending most of their time sitting around a table discussing things with their director. Everyone noticed, however, the mysterious stranger, and also got a sense that both Marianna and Martin were hiding something. Something that made them nervous.
Martin hardly left Marianna's side, and the others kept noticing them whispering in each other's ears and then glancing nervously at the stranger. Oh yes, something was definitely up.
That day felt like the longest of Marianna's life. When the clock finally stroke 7:00, she breathed a sigh of relief and collected Erik from the corner and quietly snuck into the prop room, where the mirror had been moved to. Again, they searched in vain for anything that might activate the time portal... But it was hopeless. There was nothing there.
Feeling dejected and hopeless, the two trudged out of the building and to the sidewalk, where Marianna hailed a cab.
"If it's okay with you we'll stop somewhere to eat. I really don't feel like cooking tonight." She said as they climbed into the cab.
"I'd really rather not. I've had quite enough of people today." Erik replied.
"Well, it's either that or starve."
Erik grumbled, but he was hungry, so he didn't protest again, and Marianna gave the order to the cab driver to go to what she called 'Pizza Hut.' Erik had never heard of it, but she promised it was a great place to eat.
Five minutes later, the cab driver dropped them off at a little building with a red roof. Marianna got out and Erik silently followed her into the building, where a perky, red-headed waitress led them to a table. Since Erik didn't know about the food in modern times, Marianna ordered, and soon the waitress brought them a large, cheese pizza.
"What is this?" Erik asked, poking a fork into the food that was so new to him.
Marianna grinned, putting a piece onto a plate and handing it to him. "It's pizza. Very popular here."
Erik lifted up the plate and took a sniff of the triangle shaped food before him. "It smells quite good, but I'm not sure about it."
"Just try it. It's delicious, I promise." Marianna said with a grin, taking a small bite of her own piece. "Just be careful. It's really hot."
Erik nodded, cutting a small bite off with his fork.
Marianna let out a giggle. "You know, you're supposed to use your hands-"
"That's not happening." He interrupted, and Marianna shrugged, still giggling softly. After much hesitation, Erik finally took a bite.
"Wow. You were right, that /is/ good." He said with a nod of approval.
"Told you." Marianna grinned in satisfaction. "You know, you /can/ trust me. Even about something as small as if food tastes good or not. I won't lie to you."
Erik smiled softly, and Marianna realized it was the first time she had seen him smile.
"Perhaps not," He murmured, shrugging his shoulders.
They passed the evening having what felt almost like normal, easy conversation, and for the first time, Marianna realized that maybe having him here wouldn't be so bad after all.
And maybe, just maybe, there was a reason for him being there.