Chapter 22

Thankfully, the doctor agreed to let Erik accompany Marianna to Martin's room. He couldn't stay for long, but the doctor warned that Martin's condition might be a shock for Marianna at first, and she could have Erik there to support her for the first few moments. And it was a good thing, for, the first time she got a glimpse at Martin, she feared she would've fainted if not for Erik's firm grip on her hand keeping her from it.
She knew, of course, that Martin would be in bad shape. They'd warned her that he was very battered and bruised, and she knew he was in a comatose state, but nothing could've prepared her for just how bad he looked. His head was wrapped in gauze that seemed soaked with blood, his left arm was swollen under its cast, and she could hardly see a spot on his face that wasn't scraped or bruised. His shaky, uneasy breaths sounded more like groans, and she could see him wince with each one. Upon her first glance, Erik asked if she was alright, and she responded with a nod before immediately taking a seat beside Martin's bed and taking his right hand in both of hers. And then she just sat there, staring at him and letting out an occasional sigh when the beeping of the machine measuring his heart rate would speed up as he groaned with pain. Sometimes, she'd gently run her fingers through his now-messy hair, being careful not to hurt his head. She didn't know how long she sat there, but it was before they sent Erik away when a nurse came in and whispered something to him, which he immediately passed on to Marianna.
"The nurse said you should try speaking to him. People in comatose state can often hear what goes on around them, and she said he might respond to your voice."
"Okay. But what should I even say?" She asked tiredly, looking up at Erik but not loosening her grip on Martin's hand.
Erik shrugged helplessly. "She said just speak to him normally. But personally I think you should sing to him. He'd be more likely to respond to that. Just make sure it's something familiar. Maybe something from your show."
Marianna shook her head. "Those take too much effort. Really, I don't feel much at all like singing right now. I might in a little while though. In the meantime, maybe I'll read to him or something."
Erik nodded. "Good idea. Anyway, the nurse said I need to go now, but you can stay as long as you like."
"Oh, Erik, please, no. Don't leave me alone!" She cried, reaching one hand out to him while the other still held to Martin's hand. Erik sighed quietly and pushed her hand away, back toward Martin.
"I'm sorry, I have no choice. They won't let me stay. But I'll be in the waiting room if you need me, alright?"
Marianna sighed and resumed her normal position with her hands on Martin's. "Fine. You can go back to the hotel if you want. You must be exhausted."
Erik shook his head. "No, I'm fine. If anyone here is exhausted it must be you. But I know you won't leave now. Try to get some rest, and I'll send for you tomorrow when you need to go for the show, okay?"
Marianna nodded. "Goodnight, Erik."
And then she was left alone with the unconscious Martin. She tried talking to him, but he wouldn't respond, and she could think of nothing to say. She decided to try her other idea of reading to him. Pulling up her kindle app on her phone, she began to read aloud the only book she had on there- Little Women. Starting at the beginning, she read through the book until she couldn't hold her eyes open a moment longer, and she finally laid her head back against the chair and drifted off to sleep, her hand still holding onto Martin's.
Her sleep only lasted for a few hours, though, for soon the sun was shining in through the window. Just as the opened her eyes, a nurse strolled into the room, carrying with her the medicines and equipment for Martin.
"Good morning!" She said, just a little too cheerfully for the situation. As she tested Martin's vitals, she seemed to look impressed. "His condition has improved drastically. You've done him a lot of good. He must love you very much."
Marianna forced a quiet laugh. "I don't think that's it. He probably just needed someone here. Being alone must've been so depressing..." She gently brushed her fingers through his hair. "Do you think he'll wake up soon?"
The nurse gave an encouraging smile. "He just might. He's already in much better shape than he was before you came."
Marianna couldn't help but smile. "I'm glad to hear that. Is there any chance of him waking up today?"
"Possibly. Unfortunately there's just no way of knowing. Just keep doing what you're doing."
Marianna nodded. "I will. But may my friend come in for a few moments? He's in the waiting room. I have something to do tonight and I need to talk to him about it, but I don't want to leave yet."
The nurse paused in thought. "I'll see what I can do."
When she had finished working on Martin, she disappeared down the hallway into an office, and just moments later, Erik came in. He took one look at her and tilted his head sympathetically.
"You look exhausted. Did you sleep at all?"
"Yes, for a few hours. I'm fine, really. Once I get some coffee in me I'll feel a lot better, and I always get a rush of energy before a show starts. By tonight I'll be hyper as ever."
Erik chuckled quietly. "I hope so. Do you want me to get some coffee for you?"
Marianna nodded. "That would be great. And then we can discuss what I have to do to be ready for tonight."
Erik disappeared down the hallway and soon returned carrying a cup of coffee just the way she liked. After remarking that she was impressed that he figured out the coffee machine, Marianna asked what time he thought she should leave for the show.
"You should be there by six at least. It starts at eight, correct?"
"Yes. Six sounds good. The opera house isn't far from here so I won't have to leave until around five-thirty. That gives me all day to stay here."
"Don't you think you should try to go home and rest?"
Marianna shook her head. "No. I already told you, I'm staying here as long as I possibly can. The nurse said there's a possibility he may wake up today, and I want to be here if he does. Besides, I want to avoid thinking about the show as long as possible. It'll be so much scarier without Martin there."
Erik sighed, but nodded in understanding. "Alright. I should go back to the waiting room now. The nurse said for me not to stay for long. Even by letting me in to see you and bring your coffee she was breaking the rules, and I don't want to get her in trouble. Send for me if you need me."
Marianna nodded. "I will. And if nothing else, I'll see you in a few hours. You will watch the show, won't you?"
A small smile appeared on Erik's lips. "If you'd like me to. I don't have a ticket, though. I'll have to watch from backstage."
"Actually, I reserved Box 5 for you. I thought it might make you feel at home," Marianna replied with a grin. "That is your box, isn't it?"
Erik nodded. "As a matter of fact, it is. Very good. I'll see you there, then. Try to get some rest."
He waved goodbye and then returned to the waiting room, and Marianna leaned back in her chair, still gripping Martin's hand tightly in hers. She wished Erik was allowed to stay with her, because the silence and the loneliness with Martin unconscious was completely maddening. But she wasn't going to leave him, no matter how bored or frustrated or upset it made her.
So she resolved to stay by his side no matter what, and turned on the little TV in his room. She flipped through the channels full of foreign shows and subtitles and let out a sigh. This was going to be an incredibly long day.