Chapter 16

After their lunch (where Marianna had finally tried one snail and promptly gagged until she nearly threw up), Martin used Siri on his iPhone to find an ice cream shop nearby where they could go before returning to the hotel.
As they sat at a little table outside the shop eating their ice cream, the conversation turned to their past careers.
"So, Mari, before you got Christine, what's your favorite role you ever played?"
Marianna paused to think on it, and Martin couldn't help but notice the way she scrunched her nose up when she was thinking. It was awfully cute...
"I loved playing Kathy in Singin' in the Rain. That's what I did most recently. The role itself was probably my favorite, but my leading man was a nightmare to work with, so the experience wasn't my favorite. I think my favorite show I did was in high school, when we did The Little Mermaid."
Martin raised an eyebrow curiously. "You did The Little Mermaid in high school?"
Marianna nodded.
"So did I!" He said with a laugh. "I played Eric. And I'm sure you were Ariel?"
Marianna nervously laughed. "Actually no. I was one of the sisters. But I was her understudy. I even went on once."
Martin tilted his head sympathetically. "Really? You were just an understudy? But you're too good to be an understudy."
"Martin, please," Marianna blushed, looking down at her feet once again. "The girl who played Ariel was much more deserving. Truthfully, I wasn't very good. I hardly deserved to even be the understudy."
Martin raised an eyebrow and studied her suspiciously. "I don't believe that. High school for you wasn't that long ago and I've heard you sing, you're wonderful. Your voice can't have changed that much so quickly."
Marianna shrugged, suddenly feeling sick to her stomach. "No, I don't suppose it has."
Martin decided it would be wise not to say anymore, but he was starting to discover the hidden insecurities that Marianna had tried to hide from him for so long. Glancing at her watch, Marianna suddenly realized it was almost 2:00.
"I should probably be getting back. I have lessons with Erik today to get ready for rehearsals." She said, hopping up as she took one last bite of her ice cream. Martin got up and strolled to her side, where he studied her suspiciously.
"Lessons with Erik?"
"Oh. That's right, you didn't know about that, did you?" Marianna laughed nervously. Somehow she just kept pouring out her secrets to him. "Yeah, Erik's been giving me voice lessons for the past month. You know, to help me prepare for the role since it's so vocally demanding."
"Wow," Martin remarked, looking at the ground thoughtfully as he offered her his arm once again to walk her home. "I can't believe he agreed to that. I mean, I wouldn't think he'd train anyone but Christine."
"I sorta used her to get him to do it," Marianna confessed. "I told him I could do a better job bringing her to life if I had his help. He was completely convinced after that."
"I see," Martin replied, seemingly disinterested. "Have his lessons been helpful?"
Marianna nodded. "Unbelievably. He says I've improved dramatically."
"Is he hard on you?" Martin asked, looking down at her thoughtfully.
"Surprisingly, no. I expected him to be but he really hasn't been at all. I mean, he certainly tells me what I'm doing wrong, but he does it constructively to help me improve."
Martin nodded quietly. "Well, I'm glad he's been helpful to you. I can't wait to hear you tomorrow."
Marianna felt the familiar sinking feeling in her stomach as she remembered rehearsals the next day. She just couldn't shake those stupid nerves...
By then, they had reached the hotel. Just before they parted, Martin planted a gentle kiss on Marianna's cheeks, and again she felt sparks fly through her. She bid him goodbye and promised to meet him in the lobby the next morning to ride to rehearsals, and then meandered to her room, where she found Erik waiting on the couch.
"Did you get into any trouble while I was gone?" She asked first thing. Erik rose to his feet, rolling his eyes in annoyance.
"Why do you keep asking me that?"
"Because I'm afraid you'll get into trouble." She replied. "Can you blame me?"
Erik sighed. "I suppose not." Suddenly, his expression changed to a smug, self-satisfied grin. "Did you enjoy your escargot?"
Marianna rolled her eyes. "Thankfully Martin shared his food with me so I didn't have to suffer from your little prank. But I hope it amused you to make me embarrass myself like that."
Erik tried to suppress his laughter. "I'm sorry, Marianna. I couldn't resist. That was just your payback for all the new things you've made me try since I came here."
Marianna sighed. "That was a pitiful apology. But I suppose you're forgiven. Even if only because I need you to continue my lessons."
"Ah, yes, your lessons. Shall we begin with those?"
Nodding her head, Marianna said, "Yes. And I want to work all day."
"How many times must I tell you that isn't necessary?" Erik questioned, shaking his head exasperatedly.
"How many times must I tell /you/ that I don't care if you think it's necessary? I think it's necessary." She replied matter-of-factly.
"Working long hours is only going to make you more nervous, though. What you really need is to take your mind off it."
"I can't take my mind off of it. So I might as well work on it. Maybe I'll have a breakthrough and get over that holding back problem I have."
Erik sighed in frustration. "I told you, lessons aren't going to-"
"Shhh." Marianna interrupted. "Don't go into that again. Just teach me."
Erik sighed again, but he knew he would never convince her.
So they began their lesson, prepared to work as long as it would take.