5. chapter five

Chapter five

donuts in the courtyard and breakfast on the terrace

Lewis had spent the night practically sleepless. He had tried to blame it on the mattress, on the fact that the bed was not the king size he was used to, on Roscoe who had snored incessantly. But the truth was that he was tormented by worries about his work and his team at Mercedes.
How long could he hide there in the middle of the Italian mountains, pretending that his problems with Formula 1 didn't exist?
He didn't want to think about it and stay positive, but his mind keep on going there.

Insomnia had made him awake already at dawn. The soft morning light filtered through the thin curtains hanging on the three windows behind his bed. The view from there was breathtaking. The mountain landscape was a sight, the colors of nature blending together between sky and earth. He had observed that view at sunset the night before, and now he had the opportunity and the privilege to also look at it in the early morning light. Despite everything, he felt lucky, blessed.
It was obvious that they had given him the best room at the b&b. It was huge, had a private bathroom, a dining area, and a small living room with a TV. The furnishings were rustic and simple. On the bed, they had placed a wicker basket with clean towels and handmade scented soaps.

In fact, the vibes of that place were starting to grow on him. He thought he had tried everything in his life, and yet... As the crisp mountain morning air brushed against his bare chest, he felt the premonition that that place and those moments would give him the opportunity to open up to new perspectives.

While Roscoe snored, rolling over on his back on the bed, Lewis went to the bathroom to get ready for the day. His intention was to take advantage of the cool weather to take a solitary and peaceful walk and clear his mind.

But when he quietly descended the stairs and stepped out of the villa, he found the Italian girl dealing with his Mercedes.
«You didn't sleep, or...?» he started, looking at her as she closed the front hood under which the powerful engine of the supercar was hidden.
«The boss gave me an ultimatum yesterday, so...» joked Connie, rubbing her hands together to clean them from the dust.
«Ah, I see, he must be a real jerk
«Yes, but don't say I told you.»
The two exchanged knowing smiles, amused.
Then Lewis said:
«Well, tell me about the car,»
«Why don't you start it up and see for yourself?»
The pilot made a rather pleased smile at the girl's confident attitude. Had she really managed to fix that car by herself? He had to find out.

So, he opened the gull-wing door and sat in the driver's seat. He pressed the ignition button and with a roar the car started.
Lewis's face lit up, turning with surprise towards the girl who was standing beside the Mercedes, with her hands on her hips and a satisfied look.
«Alright, it starts. But let's see the performance,» said Lewis, pretending to still be skeptical.
Connie made a hand gesture, inviting him to proceed, and then slowly watched him disappear as the car door lowered to close.