Chapter 1 - Mikasa

"Weather's about to turn shit on us," Levi proclaimed sourly, looking at the heavy gray clouds rolling in behind them. The damp chill of the wind spoke of snow and made Mikasa shift her reins to pull her cloak tighter. When they'd left Wall Rose this morning, it had been clear and cold. Not exactly comfortable, but decent enough to make the trek back to the newly opened port in the south.

Levi watched the clouds before looking back to Mikasa. "We're too far to reach Shiganshina. It'll be on us by then. How's your mount? Is it too tired for a hard ride?"

Mikasa shook her head, "She'll be fine. She's not even winded right now."

With a concerned glance at the sky, he turned his horse to the southwest. "There's an old building we used as an outpost on expeditions not far from here. Shout if your mount needs a rest."

With that, Levi was moving, and Mikasa leaned low in the saddle, avoiding the chill wind as best she could. Something he felt in the air must have bothered him badly to set such a rapid pace. She gritted her teeth and dug her heels in to keep her mare at a gallop.

Before long, Levi stood in his stirrups, searching and making a minor adjustment to their course. "Not far now!" he shouted over the noise of hoofbeats and the wind of their passage.

The buildings came into view, with a few small cabins and a stable sitting in a clearing-not perfect, but sturdy enough shelter for them and their horses. The first flurries danced in the air as they dismounted, guiding the horses into the stable. It was in good repair and the hay stacked inside was dry and clean. Levi started detaching their saddlebags, piling them to the side.

"Take these with you and pick a cabin. They're all the same. I'll get the horses covered up and fed," he said, hefting a bale of hay to bring it closer to the stalls.

Mikasa nodded and set off with two of the bags. She picked the cabin closest to the stables. The wood was weathered and gray but looked as sturdy as stone. Opening the doors, she was pleased to see everything seemed in order and intact. It would be cramped, but it beat using a tent in the snow. Checking if the flue for the fireplace and wood stove were clear, Mikasa gave a satisfied nod and wiped the spot from her hands.

Hurrying back out, she returned to the stable to find Levi finishing up with her mount. "Where's the extra firewood? " she asked, wanting to get a good-sized stockpile ready.

"It's in the shed towards the tree line. There's a wagon in the building to help carry it. Grab as much as you can manage. I'll be done here soon," he replied.

Mikasa took the remaining bags and hurried to gather the wood. When she finished unloading the second wagon load, she was sweating despite the cold air and heavier flakes of snow. She paused curiously to watch Levi exit one of the other cabins with a large metal basin tucked under each arm. He strode to where she waited. "For water," he explained. "There's a pump, but no guarantee it won't freeze."

Mikasa opened the door for him, and Levi entered, placing the basins in the kitchen area and crouching by the water pump to begin filling them. His silvery blue eyes scanned the room and flicked to the wood she had brought.

"I can get one more load to be safe," she offered.

He nodded. "Please do. It's already getting worse out there."

Mikasa loaded the wood quickly in plummeting temperatures as heavy, wet flakes billowed through the air and started to stick to her and the ground. Mikasa eyed the stairs to the cabin and, with a grunt, fought to get the loaded wagon up the two steps, not wanting to leave it in the snow.

The cabin was blessedly warm when she opened the door, the fireplace already lit and burning. Levi was feeding kindling into the wood stove. He added a few larger pieces and then helped her unload the remainder of the wagon.