XXXI

♡•○•♡

As soon as I leave the school gate I head for one of the alleys that lead directly and in less time to the town hall square. Hoping not to run into any comrades or family members along the way, because otherwise I get into bigger trouble than me.
Fortunately there are not many people around at this hour, after all the adults are at work, the elderly are quiet at home and the young people are either at home or up at the fortress playing, so it will be easier to move freely towards the town hall.
The town hall is a beautiful building, probably dating back to the 1800s, with a high turret and tall windows, and in the centre is a nice little balcony, with three flags on it, on the right that of the Vatican City, in the centre that of San Marino, and on the left is the red white black flag with the Nazi swastika, of Germany, in the centre.
I don't even see many people wandering around, usually there is always a bit of movement around here, after all, this is where the vital functions of the state are.
I can't stay out here long or someone will kiss me, better to go inside and face the truth.
The door is heavy, but at least it doesn't creak, so it's much more comfortable to open not like the grandparent's bathroom door that everyone in the house hears when you go to the bathroom.
《Hello, could I know where the registry information centre is? 》
I ask a lady behind the counter, she looks at me dumbfounded by my request.
《Ah yes, child, what can the registry help you with? 》
She asked me.
《I want to find out who my father is! 》
《Ah, I see, then follow me...》
Having said that, she signals me to follow her with her arm, I of course follow her without objecting.
She's leading me towards a corridor of offices, but she doesn't let me enter any of them, but instead she makes me go down a flight of stairs and there it is, the door to our destination.
He lets me in and before closing the door behind me he says.
《Have a seat and someone will be right there.》
She says now in a cold tone of voice, very different from the one she had before when she greeted me and asked why.
As if she had become a different person.
《All right, thank you.》
I politely reply to her.
Now all that's left is to wait for someone to come and listen and help me.
The room is very bare and a bit dark, lit only by a light bulb hanging from the ceiling; it has a simple desk, with the wood a bit ruined, the walls have the wallpaper a bit ruined, and in some places even torn.
To the side is a medium-sized bookcase, and it's full of dust, as if no one has touched it in years.
《Inside there's a little girl who wants the registry, will you take care of it? 》
I hear the woman from before, talking to someone in the corridor outside the room.
《Yes, I'll take care of it.》
《Someone answers her, she has a Germanic accent, and also a bit familiar, but it must be because I lived in Poland and Switzerland, which speak a language similar to German, but right after they finish talking, I hear footsteps approaching the door, of course on instinct I turn towards the direction of the footsteps, after all I'm very curious.
When the door opens I see two figures dressed in black enter the doorway. They are Nazis, will they be the ones to check who my father is?
《Well, well, long time no see?》
Exclaims one of the two who looks equally familiar to me, I can't tell who it is because his face is covered by the dimness, but after he takes a step forward I immediately recognize, the person in front of me.
《Alex!!》
Immediately he approaches me, with an almost brotherly smile, and sits in front of me, on the other side of the desk.
《So, what did you do this time? Didn't you tell me you weren't getting into any more trouble? 》
She asks me with a smirk on her face, like a lecture from mum when she's joking or teasing you.
《I know, Alex, but... I enjoy annoying you!》
He immediately bursts into a short but contagious laugh, which drags me along too.
After a while, the other man who had entered with Alex also speaks.
《Sir, wir müssen uns mit dieser Göre beeilen, wir müssen zu Herrn und Frau Biliani, auf Befehl des Führers.(Sir, we have to hurry up with this brat, we have to go and see Mr and Mrs Biliani, by order of the Führer)》
Says the other man in German, of which I understand little or nothing.
《Lassen Sie uns eine Stunde oder so in Ruhe und ich rufe Sie zurück. Wenn Sie mich anrufen, tun Sie das nur, wenn es dringend und superwichtig ist. Zum Beispiel ein neu Befehl des Führers. Sie können sich jetzt verabschieden. (Leave us alone for an hour or so and I will call you back. If you call me on the phone, only do so if it is urgent and super important. For example, a new order from the Führer. You can take your leave now)》.
Alex answers him, still in German, who then smiles at me as if to reassure me that all is well.
Meanwhile the other soldier, leaves the room, saying I think the only words in German I know.
《Hail Hitler》
To which, Alex doesn't reply, instead waving for him to go.

♡•○•♡