the woman who sits by the window ( lou weathers & tara carpenter )

NOW PLAYING . . . peter by taylor swift

" i won't confess that i waited,
but i let the lamp burn. . "

" as the men masqueraded,
i hoped you'd return. "

"YOU'RE ALLOWED to be angry

"YOU'RE ALLOWED to be angry."

The assertive voice is unmistakable, as it so suddenly cuts through the air. Tara's lamenting comes to a pause as she lifts her chin from her hands, eyes sinking onto Lou Weathers' frame in the doorway. Her tired eyes flutter shut for a brief moment, during which she hears self-assured footsteps edging their way closer.

"Fuck—- can you like, I dunno, give a warning before you appear out of nowhere next time?"

Tara's eyes open to see Lou now sitting across from her, perfect posture directly contrasted to Tara's parallel slouching. With one gloved hand propped beneath her chin, Tara certainly feels at least a bit intimidated under the unwavering, firm stare.

"I've noticed a rift between you and your sister."

That's where this is going? Tara sits up a little more, mentally scribbling Lou's name next to the long list of people who have tried to give her advice on Sam. "Did Ellie mention--"

"She wouldn't need to." Abruptly, Lou answers. Her expression remains focused, chin dipping into a small, affirming nod. "I noticed."

Tara scoffs a fleeting laugh. "You really do see everything. Els says that all the time. You're always watching, like that thing from Monsters Inc--" That's embarrassing. Her eyes are screwed shut this time, as she shakes away her awkwardness. "Sorry. That was... stupid reference."

Of course, Lou is as unfazed as ever. She didn't even flinch under the comment. Does she even know what Monsters Inc is? "No need. My ego isn't so fragile as to be damaged by a well-intentioned attempt at young humor."

"Got it. So then what? Are you here to like, try and therapise me or something?"

Lou's lips seem to twitch at that. Tara considers she might finally be starting to pick up on a few of the unreadable woman's tics. "I'm a psychologist, not a therapist," She corrects. An air of pondering passes between them, like the cogs are turning in Lou's brain. She leans forward, placing her elbows on her knees. "Kid, has anyone allowed your perspective to feel understood?"

Tara's mouth must've opened far too quickly, because Lou cuts in before she can even give an answer. "Not including Ellie-Marie. I don't need you to confirm that verbally. Still, her empathetic, bursting heart can only satisfy your ache in particular to an extent."