Epilogue- II

RYLAN

The door to my office creaked open and my pouting wife came into view.

"I miss you."

Fuck. I really needed to work. Elena was in thirty-eighth week of her pregnancy. Even after Stacey was always at Elena's heels, I had been working from home for a month. That way I could keep from stressing my ass off.

I made a split second decision and logged off. Some things at work needed my attention but my wife came first.

"Come here."

She flashed me a huge grin before walking inside. I watched as she slowly lowered herself on the couch. I did too, pulling her closer so that her weight was resting on me. She had been really clingy throughout the pregnancy and I wasn't complaining. In fact we had some great sex owing to her increased levels of horniness. I was a happy man.

"I want a boy." Elena said gently caressing her bump. Only last night she wanted a girl. I, on the other hand, was rooting for a boy. Another daughter would be too much work. As it is the thought of Ava dating someone someday stressed me the fuck out.

I placed my palm on her bump just in time to feel our peanut kick. The sight of her belly swollen with my child, it filled me with an odd sense of possessiveness. We were blissfully lost in the silence when I heard the sound of sniffing. Elena was wiping at the tears with the sleeves. I frowned.

"What's wrong, Love?"

She shook her head. "Nothing." I couldn't even see her face. She was hiding it from me.

"Elena." I called her name in a slight warning tone. After another few seconds of contemplation, she finally turned around.

"Post child-birth we can't have sex for six weeks. What if—"

My brows dipped as she stopped mid-sentence but patiently waited for her to continue.

"You'll have your needs." Why did it feel like I knew what she was gonna say? Fuck. No.

"What if you can't—"

I groaned, effectively cutting her off. "Don't finish that sentence."

Her eyes welled up with a fresh set of tears. "I read about it somewhere. Many couples grow apart during that period and—"

"That's because some men are idiots. If they can't keep it in their pants for six weeks and let their partners heal then those women would be better off without them." I didn't realize my voice had a harsh edge to it. She stared down at her hands and two fat drops of water fell on them.

Damn these hormones!

Lightly gripping her chin, I made her look up till her eyes were trained on mine. "I do have needs but all of them begin and end with you. You hear me?"

Elena's eyes searched mine probably for sincerity before she gave a small nod.

"Good. Now how about some ice cream?" Another nod.

"I'd love some." She mumbled. I placed a kiss on her head before standing up and heading for the kitchen. Elena's mood swings had been keeping me on my toes. She would go from laughing at something not that funny to weeping at the most random thing. But considering what a mother goes through in those nine months, that's a very small price to pay.

In fact I liked certain aspects of it like I enjoyed holding her close and comforting her, reassuring her on the smallest things and witnessing the bright smile that came upon her face. It's always these little moments.