1. Wolf pup

JULIET

"Last night was good?" Sage asked, tying her black silky hair into a ponytail. She puts on her ranger hat.

"Define good?" I asked. "Before or after, Greg spilled a pitcher of beer on me and tried cleaning it up, but only was basically groping my breast?"

"He's a creep. But I'm talking about before when Steven asked you to dance."

We grabbed our walkie-talkies and put them on our belt. I double-checked to make sure my golden name badge was on my uniform.

"horrible dance partner."

"That bad, huh?"

 "His good looks make up for it, but my toes paid the price." It hurts a little to walk today but nothing too unbearable for me. But last night was fun, getting to go out with coworkers and blowing off steam from the earlier day shift.

As Sage and I walked down the stairs, Greg came running up before stopping on the third flight of stairs, wheezing and trying to catch his breath.

"Juliet, there's an emergency and you and I need to haul ass before the park opens for visitors."

I told Sage bye as I jogged down the stairs. Greg was behind me. I could feel his eyes on my ass before he jogged up beside me. "What kind of emergency do we have?"

"Animal attack is what Bobby is calling it."

"Out here?"

"Yeah, surprisingly. We have to guard the site until law officials get here."

When we arrive at the site, Bobby turns around to greet us. "Gruesome shit," he said. "I haven't seen anything happen like this in a national park. Yeah, a few suicides here and there and hikers falling to their deaths, but not an animal attack."

"Can we see?" Greg bounced on his tippy toes. From where I was standing, I could see a blood-soaked sheet hiding the body a couple of feet away near pine trees.

I stood my distance and turned the other way. Seeing a dead body that was mauled to death by a wild animal wasn't how I wanted to start my morning. Bobby and Greg were looking closely at the body. From behind me, I can hear them guessing what kind of animal must have done this.

"Easy a bear," Greg said.

"Most likely, but I'm guessing mountain lion."

"What do you think, Juliet?" Greg asked.

"Um, a cougar?"

"Whatever it is, we need to keep a lookout out on things," Bobby said. "You two got this?"

"Yes, sir." We both said in unison. Bobby gets in the golf cart honking before driving off.

The sun was peering between tree branches. The air smelt like late fall with a hint of blood lingering in the chill November air. We aren't allowed to be on our phones, but Greg was on his phone watching TikTok, sometimes rewatching the same video with the most annoying audio.

Whenever a visitor got close, I would guide them away from the scene.

"So, you didn't answer my text last night."

"Oh?"

Greg was one of those guys who felt like he was a gift to women. He's middle-aged, still living with his mother (Nothing wrong with that) but I can tell she's one of those mothers who never told her son no and it shows when he tries to hit on women. He doesn't take no for an answer until he is slapped in the face or has a drink thrown on him and suddenly women become stuck-up bitches.