-2-

"Oh, God

"Oh, God." As always, he pulled me into his arms for a tight, comforting hug. Role reversal. "Don't cry for me."

"Then don't stay upset like this. You're the reason I always cry," I complained, making him feel guilty, as usual.

"I'll try not to make you cry anymore." A false promise. He always says the same thing.

"Stop giving fake promises, Siddique." Using his full name signaled that I was hurt.

"What can I do to make you happy?" he whispered in my ear, desperate.

"Just-"

"Cute couple," came a comment from the Uber driver. "Sorry, sir." This earned him a death glare from Siddique.

"Mind your business, idiot," Siddique muttered under his breath, making me smile.

I broke the hug, smiling. "You cursed!"

"No, I didn't." He rolled his eyes and moved to his corner. "Are you sure you want to come?"

He was smartly changing the topic. He wanted to go, and I couldn't deny him knowing he needed me there.

"Yes, I can't leave you alone." I held his hand again. "I know I'm not allowed inside, but I'd love to join you till the mosque."

There's a mosque beside the graveyard.

"Thank you, Naaz. You're a great friend. And you're coming inside with me." He declared, then teased, "Hope you know how to perform ablution, Naaz. Or I can teach you."

"Don't mock me. I know how to do it." I warned, pointing my finger at him. To my surprise, he grabbed my hand, put my finger in his mouth, and sucked it.

"You're so gross." I pulled my hand back and wiped his saliva on his dress shirt sleeve.

He laughed like an idiot.

"You're so mean and evil," I chided, but deep down, I was happy to see him laughing freely. I knew he did it intentionally to make me believe he was happy now.

Don't cry again, I reminded myself quickly.

"I love teasing you, you idiot," he laughed more.

"Stop laughing, or I'll push you out of the car," I warned. "I'm serious." I wasn't.

"I'm not your student who'll get scared. Do whatever you please." He smirked.