Chapter Eighteen: A Gun and Traitors.

"You're really okay?" Rolan asked.

It was Saturday morning and I'd already had breakfast in the kitchens with the soldiers. Madam Darrow had allowed them into her sacred space after I'd pleaded their innocence, though she'd swiftly regretted her decision after Shade and Dune had devoured a full pack of sausages and a dozen slices of bacon between them.

Rolan had caught me on the way out of the Staff Wing, and though Molly and Billy had been about to escort me back to my rooms, Rolan had told them he'd do it. The two of them hadn't looked exactly happy about his tone of voice, but I hadn't managed to see much of him since the rebel attack the Saturday before, so I'd waved them away.

"My leg is healing well, according to Willa." I nodded, delivering the same report I'd relayed a good seven times already. "The pain has faded a bit, so I'm able to put my weight on it now. She says I'll be able to walk around without help by next week."

"How come they've not given you crutches?"

"No need. By the time a pair would have arrived for me, I wouldn't need them." I shrugged. "Plus, she says the quicker I start exercising the muscles, the quicker they'll heal."

"That's good news." He didn't act like it was though. In fact, his arm around my waist was stiff and his fingers were digging into my ribs harder than I thought necessary. He was frowning at the floor.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I heard the Report was cancelled this evening." He said instead of answering me.

"Um, yeah. There was a lot of damage done to the studio last Saturday, so it's not ready yet. We'll do a Report next Saturday instead."

He nodded again, and the sunlight streaming through the tall windows reflected back from his bronze hair, highlighting the red in it. "You've been avoiding me."

Ah, so here was his problem. "I've been busy." And I had; Amber had been taking up a lot of my time, especially since the Queen had seemed to relax her grip on the Princess after Tuesday. She'd been allowed to see me after her schooling every day, and we'd stay together usually until dinner. When I wasn't with Amber, I was usually in the Staff Wing or with Luna and Lauren.

"Too busy to see me?" His murky green eyes were harder than I'd ever seen them as he finally turned to look at me.

"How was I to know where you were?" I demanded, finally too annoyed with his tone. If Patch had spoken to me like this back home, I'd have given him a punch for it.

"Bet you're quite aware of the Prince's whereabouts, though." He snapped back. He let go of my waist and stepped away.

"What're you talking about?"

"I heard that you spent yesterday with him." His eyebrows rose, and the sharp line of his jaw dared me to argue.

I was never good at turning down dares. Even dangerous ones.

"I spent yesterday with Amber. Asher happened to find us." I told him, slowly and fiercely. "We threw a ball to each other in the gardens for a bit. We barely talked. Even if we did, what is it to you?"

"You hate him. Or you did, anyway."

Immediately, I wanted to defend myself. Tell him that of course, of course I hated Asher. My feelings towards him had not changed. Would never change. But Amber had been eager to play with her brother, and Asher had a spare half hour. So what?

"How is this your business, Rolan?" I asked, frowning at him. "What gives you the right to be angry?"

"Probably the same right that would make that bastard Prince angry about us in that courtyard last Saturday."