Chapter Thirteen: Fountain and Jackets.

"Lady Eris."

The voice stopped me cold. It wasn't Asher's voice, though I'd expected him to make a beeline straight for me after the Report. No, Asher I could have handled.

I turned, only to find a very different Royal staring me down. She wore a pristine, polished dress of soft cream with long, fitted sleeves. It had green vines and bright flowers embroidered into the massive, flared skirt.

The Queen of Illéa gave me a tight lipped smile as I met her gaze.

"Could I speak with you for a moment?"

What was I to do other than obey?

I'd been in the middle of getting my ass chewed out. Lauren had dragged me into a far corner of the studio as soon as the Report had ended. Luna had hurried along behind us. Everyone else was loitering, casual as they sipped at drinks. Celebrating the success of the first Selection Report.

Luna reached for my hand as I started to leave, trailing after the Queen. I didn't look back, but gave her a squeeze as I left, more for her benefit than my own.

No doubt the both of them assumed that they wouldn't be seeing me again.

That thought saddened me. Still, I also couldn't help the thrill that rippled through me at the idea of the Queen sending me right home.

Of course, she might also send me straight to fucking prison.

We left the studio, and then we left the palace all together. She set a brisk pace, as did the Guards keeping up with us. One on either side, following sharply behind me. I wondered if they followed her everywhere or if she'd ordered their protection because of me.

We left through a set of double glass doors and descended into the gardens. The night was brisk, and the air chilly. The sting of the breeze through my thin dress left me on alert, at the very least.

She seemed to have a destination in mind as she strode with purpose down the stone paths. Passed flower gardens and tree groves and courtyards of stone.

I watched the sky as I followed he, aimless. The glint of her silver crown in my peripheral vision was enough to lead me.

The sun hadn't yet set. Our way was lit by streaks of deep purple and molten gold. The thick clouds turning to royal blue as the sun slipped away. Only the brightest of the stars had managed to push through the mess of colour.

Finally, the Queen came to rest in a courtyard. Enclosed on all sides by tall hedges, it was blocked entirely from view of anybody passing. A stone water fountain dominated the space, standing higher than the surrounding hedges. The spraying water was the only sound in the quiet space, the peace soon disturbed by the clicking of our shoes.

The Guards didn't enter the courtyard at all. They instead took up a vigil out of sight, guarding the only opening, I assumed. Far enough away for us to pretend we had privacy. Close enough, however, to let me know that they could be there in an instant if I thought about stepping out of line.

There was a wide circle of stone benches around the perimeter of the courtyard. The Queen moved to occupy one furthest from the entrance. She smoothed out her dress, sat primly, back straight, head high, watching me. The huge folds of her skirt offered no room for me on the bench, especially since she'd made a point to sit right in the middle of it.

A dangerous game, it seemed.

Not like with Asher, where it was an obvious kind of conflict, full of fire and brazen arrogance.