Chapter Ten: Slaps and Vases.

"So it's worth quite a lot then?"

"Yes, it was a gift in recognition of a trade agreement about thirty - Eris!"

The very ugly, very expensive vase slid dangerously towards the edge of the white table it was displayed on. Looking straight into Asher's eyes, I swiped it nonchalantly straight onto the floor where it shattered into a million pieces.

A Guard came rushing around the corner, eyes wide and panicked. He looked between the hundreds of tiny pieces, Asher's frozen body, and my proximity to the mess. He must have come to the same conclusion any other person would have come to, and reached for his sidearm.

"Fetch a maid," Asher commanded, straightening and schooling his shocked features. "It was an accident. No need for a report."

"Sir." The Guard bowed at the waist and took his leave, looking somewhat grateful.

"You could have been arrested for that." Asher hissed, motioning for us to walk quickly in the opposite direction to the mess.

"Could have been sent home for it, too." I smiled at him.

He huffed a breath, but didn't deign to reply.

We'd been walking for a fair amount of time, and for the most part it had literally just been a tour of the palace. Everything I'd seen so far had been magnificent - over the top, but amazing just the same. Was there really any need for a chandelier in every room? For huge bouquets of flowers on every corner? A priceless piece of art on every single bit of wall space?

It would have been gorgeous without all of the additional decoration. The dark wooden floors, the towering windows, the white walls, the ornate ceilings, low white benches to look out of those windows, each one showing a new and unique view. The signature colours seemed to be creams, golds and whites. Simple, classy, and elegant.

The decoration on top of all that made it arrogant.

"You'll have to wear different clothing tomorrow, Eris." Asher eyed the rips in my jeans with distaste.

"How about I do what I want?"

"How about I visit you tomorrow morning and dress you myself?" His grin was wicked.

"You could try, Asher." Snorting, I resumed walking.

"It's Prince Asher, to you." He told me sternly as he caught up, "And I suppose some form of bodily harm would be involved." 

"Look at that! You already know me so well." I turned to look at a painting, which seemed to be a simple depiction of a pond. "How expensive is this one?"

Asher grabbed the tops of my arms and steered me away, "Very expensive."

Laughing, I let him nudge me from the vicinity of the painting. We walked in silence for a moment, passed floor to ceiling windows that looked out over the gardens I'd been running through only half an hour before.

"This little date isn't so you can send me home, is it?"

"Calling it a date now, are we?" Glancing sidelong at me, he quirked up an eyebrow.

I blanched, scandalised, "I-... You- No!" I spluttered, and shoved him when he tipped his head back to laugh. "You're putting words in my mouth!"

"That's not the only thing I'd like to put in your mouth." His grin was all teeth and his eyes bright with amusement.

"Prick!" I exclaimed, shoving him again.

Still chuckling, he held up his hands. "The opportunity was there."