chapter 9

"Why did you push me ?"

Xingchen holds his temple in rising headache. For god's sake, he couldn't sleep at all last night and now early in the morning...Yaad not only came to his door step but also is trying to stir up trouble.

"I didn't push you Yaad. I am being late for morning court. I need to hurry." Xingchen tries to reason out.

"It's not my fault that is highness stayed with me last, yet I came to apologise to you." Yaad replies with a gloom face but Xingchen can hear the smugness in the tone.

"I never asked for an apology. Can you please make way now ? I am sorry for the accidental push. I have jobs to do , Yaad..please.."

"First of all, it's consort Yaad and secondly, you think I have nothing to do that's why you are showing off ! How could you be so imprude, Xingchen ?"

"I don't think that you have nothing to do, Yaad. You actually have nothing to do." Xingchen snaps this time. "And right now, I am chief minister of entire Zi. So, if you want me to call you a consort then address me with my title too."

"You..."

Xingchen pushes Yaad aside before he could argue any further. He is not just a stupid concubine who would do nothing except fighting for one man. He has bigger fish to fry.

Yaad looks at Xingchen's retreating back in confusion. He did as Afreen said but Xingchen didn't shout or stir up troubles. Which means, Xingchen doesn't love Zemin. God news !

Xingchen stays silent during the entire morning court. Emperor Zixuan takes the lead without his assistance. Zemin hasn't started his court session yet. So, it's a relief for Xingchen. He doesn't have to face Zemin here.

"Land revenue and taxes. Ok Xingchen ?"

Xingchen comes out of his thoughts hearing the last two words. He frowns "taxes ?"

"Yes and land revenues ..you explain these two matters to Zemin. I am leaving the paperwork on him from today." Emperor Zixuan explains again.

Xingchen nods after the information sinks in. "Ok , your highness."

"That's settled. What about his officials ? I asked you all to select some ministers for emperor Zemin ?" 

One of the general steps forward "We have sent ten qualified individuals to emperor Zemin."

"Has he selected any ?" Zixuan asks this question directly to Xingchen.

Xingchen blinks. He doesn't know. He hasn't seen Zemin after last night. "I will look into it."

Xingchen can see the doubt in his highness's face. He takes in a deep breath "I will look into this matter as soon as the court adjorns."

***

"Are you planning to meditate in front of my door ?" Zemin comes out of his room as Xingchen was not entering for so long.

Xingchen looks away awkwardly "I was here to ask if you have selected the generals or not ?"

Zemin stands aside giving Xingchen a way to enter "Come in. I wouldn't eat you."

Xingchen looks at Zemin for a second before entering the room.

"I selected five. I don't need the other five."

Xingchen frowns "you need at least ten to distribute all the works.".