TWO

As they both stared at eachother, the tension between them was palpable. Their eyes remained locked in a silent battle of wills, the tension between them crackling like electricity in the air. Nyx could feel the weight of Charles's gaze upon her, his presence a suffocating reminder of the past she had tried so desperately to leave behind. She took a deep breath and regained her composure. 

"Why are you here?" Nyx finally broke the silence, her voice cold and measured despite the turmoil raging within her. Charles's lips curled into a knowing smile, his eyes never leaving hers. "I have a proposition for you, mon Cher," he said, his voice smooth as silk. "I want to hire you as an assassin, my assassin." 

Nyx's heart skipped a beat at his words, a rush of conflicting emotions flooding her senses. She knew she should refuse, knew she should turn and walk away before it was too late. But there was a part of her that still longed for the thrill of the chase, the adrenaline-fueled rush of a life lived on the edge."I'm working for the Giovinazzis," Nyx replied, her tone betraying none of the turmoil roiling within her. 

Charles's smile widened, a glint of triumph in his eyes. "I know," he said simply. "But I also know that your contract with them is coming to an end. And when it does, I want you to join me." Nyx felt a surge of anger rise within her at his audacity, at the way he presumed to dictate her future without so much as a second thought. "How do you know about my contract, Leclerc?" she glared at him, her eyes were fuious but yet had something soft in it. "Lets just say I have my sources, love" Charles smirked as he walked closer to her, and it pissed her off.  "You have a lot of nerve, Charles," she spat, her voice dripping with venom. "You think you can just waltz back into my life and expect me to fall at your feet?"

He was so close now, their bodies so close, both their hearts beating faster than they would like to admit.

Charles's expression softened, a hint of regret flashing across his features. "I know I don't deserve your forgiveness, mon coeur, and I  know we have a complicated history," he said, his voice tinged with sincerity. "But I also know that we were unstoppable together. With you by my side, there's nothing we couldn't accomplish. I also know that you're the best in the business. And I need someone of your caliber for a job that only you can handle."  For a moment, Nyx wavered, torn between the allure of the past and the harsh realities of the present. But then she remembered the what he did to her, the betrayal, the hurt, the things she claimed she'd never fall for, but she did, for him. Not again, never again.  

"I can't," she whispered, her voice barely above a breath. "I don't want to. Not again." she spoke, a bit more firmly. "You will" he smirked again and it pissed her off, again. Nyx's eyes narrowed at his words, a flicker of curiosity stirring within her despite her best efforts to suppress it. "And what makes you think I'd be interested in anything you have to offer?" she countered, her tone laced with skepticism. 

"Because I know you, Nyx," Charles said, his gaze never wavering from hers. "I know what you're capable of, what drives you. And I know that you're tired of playing second fiddle to the Giovinazzis." The mention of her current employers sent a surge of defiance coursing through Nyx's veins. "I don't need your pity, Charles," she spat, her voice tinged with venom. "I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself. And just so you know, I am NOT  a second fiddle here, People fear me, I am the deadliest I can be."

"Of course you are," Charles replied, his tone infuriatingly patronizing. "But imagine what you could accomplish with me. No more living in the shadows, no more taking orders from men like Antonio Giovinazzi. What does he pay you? A few thousand euros? I'll pay you the double, triple if you want, even."

Despite herself, Nyx felt a flicker of doubt worming its way into her mind. The prospect of freedom, of carving out her own path without the shackles of allegiance weighing her down, was undeniably tempting. But she knew better than to trust Charles's smooth words, knew that his offer came with strings attached. 

"I don't trust you enough, Leclerc, this could be another one of your games, and I don't wish to be a part of them anymore." She glared, shooting daggers at him through her eyes. "It's up to you, love, but know this - when the time comes, and your contract with them is finally at an end, I'll be waiting. And I won't take no for an answer." He said, his tone authoritative, and she hated it.

Nyx felt a surge of defiance rise within her at Charles's parting words, a fire burning in her veins as she refused to be cowed by his threats. "You don't get to make demands of me, Charles," she called after him, her voice cutting through the air like a whip. "I don't owe you anything."He paused. There was a dangerous glint in his eyes, a flicker of something primal that sent a shiver down her spine.

"Don't you fucking see, Nyx?" he said, his voice low and urgent. "We're destined to be together, you and I. We're two sides of the same coin, bound by fate and circumstance. And you know it, baby." Nyx scoffed, her lip curling in derision. "You think you know me, Charles? You think you have me all figured out? You don't know shit about me."

He took a step closer, his gaze piercing through her defenses like a dagger. "I know more about you than you realize, Nyx," he said, his voice soft yet insistent. "I know the darkness that lies within you, the hunger for something more than what this life has to offer. And I can give that to you." Nyx felt her resolve falter, a flicker of doubt creeping into her mind despite her best efforts to push it aside. "I don't need you, Charles," she said, her voice trembling but coming out strong. "I don't need anyone. I can take care of myself." 

He regarded her with a mixture of frustration and admiration, a wry smile playing at the corners of his lips. "You always were stubborn, Nyx," he said, his voice tinged with amusement. "But let me tell you something, I am not giving you a choice here. I can't let you go. Not without a fight." She scoffed at his words, the fucking audacity. She knew arguing to him is like arguing to a wall, she just rolled her eyes and turned around, her heels clicking on the floor. 

"You think you can just walk away from me like that, angel?" He started following her, his steps of an animal stalking his prey. "I can and I will, watch me." she spat as she walking, still in the darker alleys of the mansion. 

AUTHORS NOTE- 

chapter twoowowo yayaya, lemme know if yall like it and any improvements and tips are welcome. <3