Chapter 9: Mismatched

The next few days are especially awkward. Aaron is still friendly. He still smiles at me. We still work together in math class. At lunch, he even starts inviting me over to the table with his friends. Yet he no longer seems genuine, as if he's plastered over the true Aaron Delacroix and I am left with this shallow version.

It is no better with Kota. He continues to ignore me. I cannot think of any legitimate way to reach him. I need an opening, an opportunity. At home, Maya is anxious. I know she is worried that I will fail again. I do not tell her what happened with Aaron, and she cannot know for certain unless I tell her. As a Consular, she can force herself into my mind, take what she needs, but not secretly. I trust her enough to believe she will not try.

Friday comes, finally. In history, we are assigned a group project, a presentation on the division of the Roman Empire into East and West. My ears perk.

"I will be assigning partners for this project," Mr. Hardin announces.

I see the opportunity. I strike. I am glad our powers are subtle. I do not need magic words or strange hand gestures or to use any piece of physical technology. My eyes lock on Mr. Hardin, and I implant a firm Infixation. I don't know who he intended to assign as Kota's partner, but that no longer matters. Any other possibility now pales in comparison to me.

The teacher frowns, shaking his head as if something just occurred to him, a usual reaction to such an Infixation. He takes the list of names back to his desk, scribbles down a change I don't need to see.

"All right, everybody," he begins again. He rattles off pairs of names until he gets to mine. "Dacien and Kota," he says.

Kota turns in his seat, shoots me a bemused look. I offer a smile that does no good.

We spend the rest of the period working together. Okay, so it is mostly composed of me working and Kota occasionally mumbling something entirely useless.

It irks me. At least when I work with Aaron he listens. Aaron likes spending time with me, at least I think so, even now. Would it kill Kota to at least try to be a good project partner?

"We should do some more work on this later," I say.

Kota sighs. "I'm not busy tonight, if we really need to. Will that make sure you don't bug me about it for the rest of the weekend?"

"Yes," I say at once. I'm not giving him any chance to reconsider. The Tether seems to thrum with a happier note. Its warmth is calming rather than oppressive. I'm making progress.

My promise to Kota doesn't catch up with me until math class. Aaron was even friendlier at lunch than usual. I sat beside him instead of across from him. He talked about the game he has on Saturday. That makes this all the worse.

He leans over to me and whispers. "So, we're still good for tutoring tonight, right?"

My mouth is suddenly dry, and I can't find any spit to swallow.

"Uh, Aaron, I'm really sorry. I can't. I had to make another plan."

A flicker of emotion crosses Aaron's face, but he hides it quickly. "Oh, yeah, no problem. It happens, man. We can do another time, like Sunday or something."

I give him my best smile. "Yes, Sunday. We could do that."

He smiles back, but he doesn't talk to me for the rest of the period while we work on practice problems. The lump in my chest is a cold lead ball.