Two

"Buy you all those fancy things that you only see on T.V"

One week after

Allison

I sit on my bed, mindlessly scrolling through pictures on my laptop. I was grounded, but my parents had allowed me one source of entertainment. I chose my laptop, you could do the most on it, after all.

I huff, looking through people's posted pictures. They were all enjoying their summer break, while I was stuck in my room, doing absolutely nothing.

"Allison!" My mom yells from downstairs.

"What?" I groan, swinging my legs to the side of the bed. I close my laptop and make my way downstairs, fighting the urge to flip her off.

"You're not allowed to shop when you're grounded!" She scolds me, placing her hands on her hips.

"What are you talking about?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"You ordered something online, it just came in today." She motions to the package sitting in our front hallway.

"I never ordered anything." I argue. I look at the package, it has my name on it, but there is no from address.

"Check my credit card, I swear I never ordered anything." I mutter, picking up the box. It has fragile in big red letters on the side, and I feel my insides churn with excitement.

My mother sighs, "Fine. Go on upstairs before I change my mind about you keeping it."

I squeal quietly, racing up to my room. I set it down on the ground before tearing it open.

Inside is a beautiful white jewelry box. It has small, swirly details on the side in peach pink. On the top in calligraphy it has the word 'mine.'

I open the box, a small note inside. I pick it up, my hands shaking.

I hope you like it, I went through a lot of trouble for all the engraving.

Leave it empty, don't put anything in it, that'll be my job.

-J

I gulp, re-reading it multiple times. Who is J? How does he knows my address and why is he sending me gifts?

My mother knocks on my door and I quickly shove the note into my pocket. "So, what is it?" She asks, taking a peak.

"A jewelry box," I mumble, covering the top with my sleeve. My mother examines it, her eyes narrowing.

"It's very pretty, does it say who it's from?"

"No," I say.

She nods before leaving my room. I bite my lip, running my hands along the sides of the small box. It was very elegant, and looked expensive. Who would possibly go out of there way to send me this? I had no friends who's name started with the letter J, and even if I did they wouldn't send me a gift like this.

I pull out my laptop, sending Sophie a Facebook message.

'Any hot guys at our school with a name starting with the letter J? And do they know of my existence?' I type out the message and she replies in seconds

'Hm, Jared? But he's not that hot...plus really fucking stupid. Other than that, Jeremy, he's kinda cute.'

'Does he like me?' I probably sounded desperate and annoying, but my curiosity was overpowering all.

'How am I supposed to know? What's got you worked up?' She replies.

I snap a picture of the note and the jewelry box and send it to her