Hunger

The plan was simple.

Go in. Break through Sujin's cage. Get out.

No one was to get hurt. No time was to be wasted. It was perfect.

Jukyung would lead the hunters away, giving Suho a clear entrance. He would simply walk in and rescue Sujin and be gone before anyone even noticed.

Suho felt a chill of anticipation as he wrapped his coat around tighter. He usually did not register the weather at all but tonight felt especially chilly. He turned his wrist to check the time and instead of the time, found his attention arrested by the long, claw-like shape his fingernails seemed to have taken. This was not a good sign. He knew as a vampire, his hunger could overtake at any time, turning him into a monstrous beast.

But his descent into madness was not yet complete, a thought he repeated to himself till he calmed a little.

I may not be mad yet, but it's getting dangerously close, the voice of reason sounded.

Close, but there's still time. It's enough to get Sujin out.

Is it?

He knew it was wiser to feed first and then go on this mission, but Suho did not trust himself around humans. He could easily lose control and end up killing a person. Sujin was the only one who could ensure Suho could get the food he needed without harming anyone.

Sujin.

If Suho was like this, what was her condition? He could just imagine her. Pale, translucent skin. Large protruding ears like a bat's. Teeth extended and sharp. Eyes beady and black. She would have gone insane by now. Suho did not expect the hunters to have fed her well, if at all. He couldn't even bring himself to even imagine what kind of torture they had put her through. He was simply glad she was still alive and that he had the chance to save her—or what was left of her.

Shivering slightly, Suho recited the plan again in his head.

Go in. Break through Sujin's cage. Get out.

No one was to get hurt. No time was to be wasted.

He clicked his tongue. Distracted by his nails, he had forgotten to check the time. Once more he turned over his wrist. His watch had somehow become loose and had slid around his wrist. It normally did not, but he had lost a little weight and now his hands appeared all bony with bulging veins pulsing slowly.

Nodding his head, Suho got up. It was time. From his hideout in the wild bushes, Suho emerged. A figure in a long black coat looking quite ominous.

There was no wind, but Suho continued to shiver. He shook himself to stop. There would be no shivering or other signs of weakness in front of the hunters.

Suho first scoped the perimeter. Just as he expected, there was no one standing guard at any of the entrances or windows. Still out of precaution, Suho peered in through a broken section of a musty window. From this side, he could only see through a quarter of the cage. The remaining part was covered in a large tarp. No doubt Sujin was cowering in one corner of the covered side.

Suho was just about to sigh in relief when he heard the voices.

Hunters. More than one. Suho immediately crouched down, cursing his bad luck. Jukyung had said she would lure all of them away. Clearly Han Seojun was no fool. He did not leave Kang Sujin unguarded. It was just as well. The presence of hunters would make no difference for Lee Suho. He could just as easily fight them off.

If only he could stop this pesky shiver in his hands.

Suho crouch-walked towards a window with a better view. But this one had no broken sections. Through the layers of dirt, Suho could make out three hunters, sitting near the cage. One had a strange haircut, one had a very wide nose, the third he couldn't see clearly.