chapter four

The bell at Kathleen's school rang. signaling the end of the day. Students immediately hopped out of their seats and started packing their things. Kathleen didn't stop them, because if the bell didn't dismiss them, why would it be there? So she smiled and said goodbye to the students, assigning them no homework for the evening.
As soon as the last student left Kathleen walked around her classroom picking up stray pencils and pens, and anything that was left in her room. She was only thinking of one thing: Riff.
Riff was coming to get her, right? So when would he be here? It had only been a minute or two since the bell rang so Kathleen was sure she was overthinking it.
Riff was just outside the school, watching as people rushed out so they could go back to their homes. As he walked closer to the door of the building, he noticed what felt like thousands of pairs of eyes on him. Riff stayed looking ahead.
Kathleen was waiting. She sat at her desk looking for assignments handed in that day, checking to make sure that she had all of them.
There was a knock at the door, and as Kathleen's head turned instantly, she saw the scrawny boy and got up from her seat to welcome him in.
"Hey dollface." Said Riff, walking into her class. Kathleen replied as a light blush creeped onto her face.
"Hey Riff. I'm actually just about done if you were ready to head out?"
Riff nodded in response and leaned on top of a desk.
As soon as she put her bag over her shoulder there was another knock at the door.
Mr. Elliot.
"Hey Kath'-"
He paused after seeing Riff leaning against a desk.
Riff smirked and gave Elliot a wave; Kathleen's face fell in disappointment at the sound of the man's voice.
"This- this is who you're going out with? You rejected me for a- a delinquent!?"
Riff pretended to be offended with a gasp as he clutched his chest.
Kathleen just stared at Elliot.
"I did."
"And- and you're okay that he's a gang member?" He questioned,
"He isn't a gang member."
A pause,
"He's the leader of one."
Mr. Elliot stood stunned.
"I- I came to apologize for what happened this morning but I can see that won't be possible. Good day."
He was fuming as he left the room, mumbling something about how girls never want to go for the nice guys.
"What did he mean by this mornin'? Did he do something to you?" Riff accused.
"Call down, there's no need to get riled up. Mr. Elliot has been trying to... pursue, a relationship with me for about a year and a half, even after my insistence that I wasn't interested. He obviously was not going to stop until I brought you up this morning. Even then I'm sure he was in here to "apologize" and try once more."
Riff waited a beat.
"He said you left me for him. Does that mean you and I are somethin'?"
Riff smirked and Kathleen turned bright red.
"I- only if you'd want to be? Either way I feel like I wouldn't really have a choice considering half the city probably knows we walked here together."
"If you want me to leave you alone, me and my boys will never bother you again. You don't gotta feel pressured into anythin'."
Kathleen had never been in a relationship that she'd actually wanted to be in.
Two years prior she was married off to a lovely man before her parents died. He was really a good man, and caring towards Kathleen, he had money too. The only thing that tore their marriage apart was her low probability of having her own kids, which wasn't an option for her then husband. He was a nice man though. He left her a house, all the necessities for it, and more.
He was polite about wanting a divorce too. Kathleen loved him. She wasn't sure if she was in love with him, but she loved him.
She was torn out of her thoughts when Riff answered.
"But I would. Now let me walk you home, I've been in this hell of a building for too long."
She immediately walked towards Riff after he once again stuck out his arm, and the pair went to the girls house.
She liked this boy a lot. She hoped it would be like this for as long as possible.
He really liked this girl. He hoped it would be like this forever.