Daydreaming

As much as I wanted to tell her, I couldn't. There was so much weighing on my shoulders and I felt like I was seconds away from crumbling under the pressure. I knew the so-called soldiers were bad news, but I kept telling myself I was being paranoid because I didn't want to lose Wanda. It was selfish, but I didn't want her to find out unless she had to. Besides, I figured if they were at least out of the village then she would be safe. For now.

"Y/n, do you want a break? You seem distracted," Wanda queried, relaxing from the defensive stance she was trying to teach me. I nodded, wiping my moist forehead and slumping onto the soft grass. Wanda joined me on the ground, pulling my body towards her so my head was rested on her lap. We'd been practising self-defence all morning and I had gotten to the point where I wanted to die. Wanda was incredible, every movement of her body sliced through the air with ease, whereas I was one puff of wind away from falling on my ass (which had sadly happened more than I'd be willing to admit). "Where has your mind disappeared to?" Wanda asked, gently pressing down on the middle of my forehead with her thumb to stop me from frowning. I sighed when her other hand brushed strands of hair from my face then came to rest on my cheek.

"I'm just thinking," I replied, twisting roots between my fingers, green tendrils snapping under my touch.

Her contact brought further warmth to my face, comfort growing in my chest where the anxiety had left a hole. "About what?"

"You," I answered honestly, looking away from her intense green orbs. It was true, I had been thinking about Wanda a lot recently. She was the first person who properly made me feel safe, I just wished I made her feel the same way. I hated myself for keeping her and Sam away from each other, and I was scared Wanda wouldn't trust me anymore once I told her the truth. I just had to suck it up.

"Do you want to talk about–"

"Sam knows," I blurted out, interrupting her in the process. She stopped stroking my hair for a second, taking in my words before she continued the monotonous action.

"Okay."

"Okay?" I repeated, confusion creeping out in my voice. She moved my head so I met her gaze. The redhead smiled down at me, the gold flecks in her iris sparkling in the light.

"I trust you, sweetheart. And I can't wait to meet your friend," she said, causing a wide grin to creep its way onto my face. All of my worry disappeared, replaced with a fuzzy feeling which warmed me from within.

"Really?" I questioned, not quite believing someone so perfect actually existed. A red flush made its way onto the woman's cheeks,
and she broke away from my stare before mumbling a small 'of course.' I mentally slapped myself for thinking too loudly, I really needed to stop putting her in such awkward situations. I didn't want her to think I was too attached or anything, especially considering she could leave at any second. She was a superhero, and I was a fool who on some level believed she would give up that part of her life for me. We hadn't talked about her still being in the Avengers, but deep down I knew that one day they would come asking for her help. There would always be a crazy, power-hungry villain aiming to take over the world, and I would always be the girl without a mum.

"I would give up everything for you," Wanda whispered, the words carried away by the wind, so quiet they barely met my ears. But I had heard them, and she couldn't take them back.

I took her hand in mine, hugging it close to my chest like I was afraid she would disappear. "I don't understand it, I feel like I've known you my whole life."

"I know what you mean, I feel the same way," she admitted, flexing her fingers against my hand, like she was checking my grip was real. Every moment since I had met Wanda felt like a dream. I finally felt the comfort my parents were supposed to bring me. Don't get me wrong, aunt Julie was amazing and I loved her more than anything, but she wasn't my mother. Yet, Wanda was mine.

"All yours, darling," she mumbled into my hair as she leant down to kiss my head. I blushed as I realised she could hear my thoughts again, but part of me was glad I didn't need to put how I felt into words. She understood me more than anyone else. No one could even come close.