𝟏𝟒. 𝐆𝐔𝐈𝐋𝐓𝐘 𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐈𝐍

JOEL

DAY TWENTY

Just when I think that it can't get any colder, it does. It's a kind of cold that you can't imagine. No amount of clothing helps—it penetrates to the bone. And it was only going to get colder from here on out.

I could handle it. I have plenty of times.

But watching Addie shiver uncontrollably in her sleeping bag, I couldn't handle. Her teeth chatter so loud that I can hear it, for fuck's sake. The thought of her freezing that bad made my stomach churn. So, with a groan, I whisk back the top of my sleeping bag.

"Addison."

She hums shakily.

"Come here."

She shuffles around until she's facing me, and her cheeks are pink from the cold. Her gloved hands are huddled against her chest as she frowns at me. "Huh?"

"Get in," I grumble, motioning to the empty spot I've made next to me. The perfect size for her to fit in here with me. "Take off your jacket and your gloves."

"T-take them off?" she rasps.

"You need body heat. Clothes will just make it harder to distribute."

I watch as she takes off her gloves, flexing her cold fingers before tugging the sleeves of her jacket down her arms. Her eyes are reluctant as she glances over at me, her chin trembling as she shudders from the freezing temperatures. Snuggling down into her hoodie, her eyebrows knit questioningly at me.

"Hoodie, too."

Addie bites her lip. "My hoodie?"

I nod.

"But...it's just my bra underneath."

Fuck.

"C'mon, you're freezin'," I rush, sitting up. "Just take it off and get in the sleepin' bag."

She nods nervously before kicking off her boots, sliding out of her hoodie and tossing it to the side with the rest of her stuff. No matter how hard I try to fight it, I can't help my mouth from salivating at the sight of her. My gaze flickers down to the swell of her breasts, but I quickly look away. It would be really stupid to freak her out by staring or getting a hard-on right now like a fucking weirdo.

But it's imprinted in my brain. I'll be thinking about her body until my dying day.

"Are you sure—"

"Get in," I growl impatiently.

Addie hesitates for a moment, gnawing at the inside of her lip before crawling toward the opening of my sleeping bag. My molars grind together as I turn away, looking at anything but her. She hurries to get inside, shivering as she basks in the warmth of the blanket. When she's finally settled, I reach over her and zip the sleeping bag back up, and I hear a tiny intake of breath leave her lips.

I didn't just make that up. I heard it.

I think.

"Come here," I say, laying back down on my side and opening my jacket up for her.

She looks at me like I've just asked her to kill someone. Her blue eyes flicker down to my chest and back up again, but this time, she looks almost panicked.

"I don't understand," she mumbles.

"Face me," I instruct with a deep sigh. "And just...come here."

Her body twists toward me, and she pauses again. With an exaggerated eye roll, I grasp onto her arms as I pull her to me. She melts against my chest as I wrap my jacket around her, and her body shudders with a pleased sigh leaving her mouth.

"You're so w-warm," she says into my neck, where she's buried her face.

"The whole point."

Her fingers jab my ribs playfully, making me jerk involuntarily. A strangled groan is on the edge of my lips, but I hold it in. Her body is pressed fully against mine now—I can feel every curve, every movement she makes. Fuck me.

"I bet you're glad I make us brush our teeth now, huh?"

I grunt. "You act like you have to twist my arm about it."

"Feels like it, sometimes," she snickers. "You're pretty stubborn, if you haven't been told before."

I hum lowly.

This makes her laugh, for what reason—I'm not sure. But now her breathy laugh is cascading across my neck in a way that makes me hate my fucking life right now. Why did I suggest this? The hairs on the back of my neck prick as goosebumps encase my entire body, and suddenly, I'm sweating.

"What's so funny?" I gripe, looking pointedly down at her, and fuck. That is a mistake, too. I feel like a horny sixteen year old again.

"You're like a caveman."

My mouth pops open at that one. "A fuckin' what?"

She laughs so hard that she can hardly breathe. "You communicate with grunts. Like a caveman."

The sound leaving her lips is contagious. Melodious. I can't stop the smile from tugging at the corners of my mouth as I snort in disbelief.

"Hilarious."

Addie lets out a strained giggle, pressing a palm over her mouth as she hides her face. My cheeks ache from fighting this smile, so I rest my chin on top of her head—willing it to stop. What the hell is wrong with me?

"Maybe I should try my hand at comedy," I grumble, and a hint of amusement shines through my tone.

"Stop," she pleads, burying her face into me as she shakes with laughter.

"I'm about to kick you back out in the cold."

I'm met with more laughter.

"Addison," I warn.

Her apology is muffled as she leans back to look at me. Her eyes are watery and crinkled in the corners as she is practically bursting at the seams from holding it back.

I'm making her laugh. The pretty sound that I'm pretending to hate, but it's actually my favorite sound in the world. The twinkle in her eyes is for me. The grip on my shirt, the closeness of her body, and the way her nose is scrunching. It's intoxicating. I'm drunk on her.

I want to kiss her.

Senselessly.

And then the feeling is taken over by the urge to say a mean comment. Shut it down. Like I always do. Sarcasm is mere seconds from leaving my mouth, but her face falters as she stares up at me—all traces of the happiness before, gone.

"Hey," she whispers softly. "Are you okay?"

I frown. "I'm fine."

"Promise?"

This makes me cock my head marginally as I peer down at her. "I promise."

She raises a skeptical brow, but she presses her face into my chest, anyway. Her leg intertwines between my large thighs, searching for warmth, and I let it. Enveloping my arms around her fully, my body relaxes. It feels...right.

And that scares the shit out of me.