Chapter 27. Bonding Time

The film playing was the only sound echoing in the room. Aya's question is lingering in the air, waiting for an answer.

Lately, you seem distant. Are you mad at me? Lowered down the volume of the TV and move to face her.

Is there a reason for me to be furious at you? Mikhs returned the question.

No, I don't think so. Aya replied, looking at her struggling to figure out her expressions.

So, there you go then, your answer. Mikhs responded and went back to the film. Aya got annoyed and punches her left shoulder.

Hey, why did you do that" You have a hand of a boxer girl, that was a strong punch huh? She stated while touching the area.

Because I am serious, but you are not paying attention to what I say. Aya replied, pouting, crossing her arm.

You look so cute, then pinch her cheek using her bad arm. Ouch...ouch.... Mikhs held her arm and place it back on the pillow.

Karma played with you. Aya beginning to smile.

Smiling is better for you. I know you just miss me. Mikhs commented.

Damn right, I do. I miss our film nights. Aya looks at her with sincerity in her eyes, pleading.

Sorry, I will make it up to you. We are both busy, the fact we are both graduating. Mikhs reasoned out. Before we graduate, let's go for a beach outing. What do you say? She added.

That will be great. I am sure the group will be up for it. Aya lit up, chirping.

Suddenly, Mikhs phone started ringing. Her mom in the caller ID. She answered it right away. A loud voice appeared in the background. Mikhs glances at Aya, but never moves from the bed. Mom I am ok, I was playing tennis, done a bad, backward stroke. That's all.

Blahhhh...blahhh.... The only thing Aya can hear afterwards. "Mom wanted to speak to you, Aya."

Mikhs handed it over and focus herself back on the film. She knew what her Mom will say to her roommate, anyway. It was hard being away from them. The whole family moved to the US, but she stays to study here in the Philippines. Besides, her friends are here. She thought about what to do there when her life was here.

Yes, Tita. Do not worry, I will look after her. Send my regards to Tito and Enzo. Bye. Aya looks at her after the call and hugs her.

Hey, what is wrong? Mikhs asked.

Your parents cannot come to your graduation because of business commitment, but Enzo might be here. Aya shared.

They are always busy working and I am used to them already. Mikhs said, unfazed. The more Aya tightened her hug. Mikhs automatically engulf her into her arms.

What are you wallowing about? You look like a panda now? Drying her tears cascading through her cheeks. Honestly, I am happy you are here. You are looking after me, together with our friends, and that is more than enough. Even my family is a thousand miles away. I know they care for me, too. So, stop crying. I have all the affection I need.

You are great, Mikha. Your heart is pure and kind. The person you will cherish will be fortuitous to have you. Aya commented and started smiling at her. I miss talking to you.

Me too. Mikhs responded, looking at her best friend with ambivalent emotions. In her mind, how I wish I can tell you it is you all along, makes me feel this happy. I will be here always loving you. Your happiness is my priority, even if it breaks me into a million pieces. This is my secret I will keep up with my grave. With that thought, she held Aya more into her embrace while the latter leans on her chest.