Prologue

"I'm so sorry, my dear." A teared up aunt Liz told me while hugging me tightly.

Just like ten others before her, they cried the death of my mother more than I did. Maybe because I had already cried for it many nights before. Losing sleep in my room or looking at her while she was still in the hospital. I'm sure the doctors did all they could, even so, I miss her.

I look at the coffin, but I don't see her. I don't see life. I don't see that smile that made me smile. I don't see the soft gentle skin I'm used to. Her hair is not combed the way she usually had it. I see the body of my mother, but it's not her.

My father couldn't be here in mom's funeral. He's in the hospital as well. Losing mom was just as bad for him as it was for me.

Three years of lost and found hope. Three years of pain. She already died, but the pain doesn't seem to fade away.

My mind was fuzzy. I was there seeing the people pray for her, but I didn't quite get what they said. I preferred thinking to myself.

"Dad's gonna die too. If I join them I'll be happy because we'll be together again."

"I should stay for aunt Liz and grandma. They would be devastated if something happened to me too."

"But we're all gonna die anyways. Dying now would just make the process much, much easier."

"Dying is never easy."

"That's why now is better than later."