Chapter 2

Present day

I woke up to look at a white ceiling with Disney princess stickers all over it. I remember that day with a sad smile. A fading memory of mom and I sticking them to the ceiling when we first moved to this house.

I looked at my phone and unlocked it to see four messages from my aunt. She wanted me to go to her house, since dad was in the hospital and I was going to be all alone, but I told her I needed some time for myself.

I closed those messages and scrolled down my old messages and started deleting the older ones, but then I saw Heidy's name. Our last conversation wasn't a nice one. She thought I was using mom's illness to get attention in school. It hurt me that she had said that and I insulted her. We hadn't talked since and that was four months ago.

"She never really cared. No one did."

"She's just confused. She's hurt too. She probably feels guilty."

"She shouldn't have said that."

"She's my friend."

"What kind of friend does that?!"

"One that doesn't know what she's doing."

"No one really cares about me."

"I'm not alone."

"This is happening to me because I'm a failure."

"I have people that love me."

"All the people I have ever loved either leave me or die!"

"Enough!" I screamed at my own thoughts.

I couldn't understand why I was going through this. My mind was literally debating over how terrible my life really is.

My best friend hated me. My father was ill and in the hospital. My mother was dead. I had no one. I was alone.

I cried in a corner in my room. Everything I ever loved was getting away from me, and I couldn't do anything about it.

I got startled from a phone call, it was Heidy.

"She's a fucking idiot."

"Maybe she just wants to talk."

"Send her to hell for all she's worth."

"Give her a chance."

I decided to answer her call.

"Hey." She said in a shy tone.

"Hey." I replied harshly.

"I'm sorry for what happened to Elizabeth." She told me.

"Are you sorry for what you said to me?" I asked her, with my voice almost breaking. "How dare you?" I said and started crying. "You think I wanted this? Huh? You think I wanted this?"

"I'm sorry." She said, and I could hear her crying too.

"What you said hurt me. I don't give two shits about other people's pity or opinions, but you saying that. You crossed the line." I told her with tears falling from my eyes.

"I'm sorry." She repeated.

"I have to go. I'm gonna be at mom's burial. You're invited. It's gonna be in our state's memorial park." I told her in a sarcastic tone. "But if I see you, don't expect me to go to you or to talk to you. And if you go to me, I will punch you in the face." I told her, my voice turning serious.