Chapter 1

Three years ago

"Good morning mom" I said to my mom while I was sitting in the chair of the dinner table to have my breakfast before going to school. Mom was dressed formal, like always. She's one of the best paid lawyers of the country.

"Good morning, my dear" mom replied with a huge smile on her lips. "I cooked some pancakes. What you want to drink?" She asked me with a soft voice.

"I'd like orange juice." I told her with a smile on my face.

"Good morning my two beauties" my dad, the widely successful surgeon, Peter Gales told us while he pulled a chair and sat next to me and smiled, giving me a kiss in my head.

"Good morning babe" mom told dad while serving our breakfasts, then she gave dad a kiss.

When we finished the breakfast, I kissed mom and thanked her for the food, grabbed my backpack from the living room and ran outside to dad's car. I waved mom goodbye and dad drove me to school and after a 15 minute ride, I was walking quickly to math class.

The classes in the morning were really boring. The only time I really enjoyed was lunch time, only at those times I could be with my best friend, Heidy. She and I didn't have any class at the same time, but we had fun during lunch while it lasted.

"So, how was the science test? " she asked me.

"It was really easy for me." I said and her expression changed to a worried one. "Did you study?" I asked her and she looked at the ground guiltily. "If you didn't study, it will be hard for you." I said.

"How can I? If I understood it I would." She whined at me. "I'm gonna fail anyways." She told me in a defeated tone.

"You're not gonna fail." I told her with a sad smile. "We got some minutes. I'll help you understand at least some things."

"I don't think I can learn that quickly." She said in a quiet tone.

"You forget that I already took the test. I know what's gonna be in it." I told her with a proud expression that turned into a jokingly mischievous one.

"Okay then." Heidy said and took her science notebook out.

-

Heidy and I took the bus to get to my house. When we finally got home, we ran to my room and started doing our homework.

"Agh" Heidy groaned. "This stupid thing"

"It's really easy! Here let me show you" I told her and explained the process on a new subject the math teacher started giving us.

"Dah! You're like a little brain with arms and legs." I laughed at her comment. "I mean it. And it's not funny. You're too smart for your own sake, or mine for that matter." She said pissed, but started smiling when I kept laughing.

"I just imagined it. You know that I laugh for everything." I said and continued laughing. She showed me her middle finger and I laughed louder.

"I'm home!" I heard mom's voice downstairs. I got up from my bed and ran as quick as I could to jump on her and hug her. "Hey, how was school?" Mom said after I startled her.

"It was good. What about you?"

"Good." she said and groaned when she was putting me back in the cold floor. "Hi Heidy!" Mom said while Heidy was walking down the stairs.

"Hi mom!" Heidy said. Mom was like her mom too. Heidy ran to mom and hugged her.

"So girls, what you guys want to dinner?" Mom asked us

"Lasagna!" We both said after we gasped and mom laughed.

"Ok then." she told us and walked to her room, and changed her clothes.

"Heidy! Why you don't asks your mom if you can stay tonight here?" Mom shouted from her room.

"I'll call her now" Heidy replied.

-

"Heidy! Wake up! We're late for school!" I screamed at her ear while moving her to wake her up.

"Five minutes" she groaned. I was already dressed to go to school and Heidy was still sleeping and I had an exam at my first class.

"You will wake up now" I said and walked to the bathroom and I filled a glass with water. When I came back from the bathroom, Heidy was still in the bed. I threw the glass of water all over her face.

"You are you so stupid! I hate you, you idiot!" She screamed after gasping. She got up from the bed and walked
directly to the bathroom.

"I love you too!" I shouted while laughing. "I'll be downstairs waiting for you." I said with my head against the bathroom door.

"Go away." I heard her murmur back.

I went downstairs to wait for her get ready. Today it was mom's turn to drive us to school. Mom was waiting for her too. When Heidy finally finished getting ready we ate and got inside the car quickly.

-

School was rather boring. The hours passed by really slow. Heidy told me she was going on a date with a friend of hers so she didn't come to my house this time, but the good thing was that I was alone at home so I could relax a bit. I had already done all my home work, so I had nothing to do. After a couple minutes of not knowing what to do I was starting to get bored.

I decided to watch a movie. I wanted to watch The notebook, but I didn't see it where we usually kept the movies. If it wasn't here it meant mom had taken it to her room.

Mom and dad were still at work so I could sneak into their room without getting caught. I started searching the stuff they had in their drawers. I realized that the ones I was looking into were dad's. I didn't found anything interesting though. A bunch of biology books and the stuff that all doctors should have.

Then I started looking through mom's stuff. There were a lot of paper. Almost everything was from her cases. But I saw a bunch of papers that were pretty organized in one side of the room. It look pretty interesting, so I walked to where it was.

I started reading all of the papers, one for one. All this papers are from medical analysis made this year. No, in the past two months. It looked that she had been sick.

I started getting scared when I read a paper of some type of study that read "cancer".

I continued reading. I felt my tears running down my cheeks and falling from my chin. There I discovered that mom had a brain tumor.