15. Sharing Playlists

"Nice day we're having." said Robyn.

"How did you know I was up here?" asked Jeisa, picking up her phone and lowering the volume. She was patched into the hospital radio channel. They were on the roof of the hospital.

"Cass' nurse, Marion, told me you've been coming up here every day since she woke up," Robyn said, sitting next to Jeisa who was sitting up against the hospital's radio antenna, her technopath tendrils deeply intertwined with the radio wires. Robyn continued. "You want to be close to her, even though you won't talk to her."

They stayed silent for a while, listening to the song playing on Jeisa's phone.

"It's weird that all the radio stations are playing the same songs, huh? They're still trying to figure out who's hijacked the city's radio frequencies," Robyn said. "They can't trace whoever's doing it and the army is freaking out, assuming it's some kind of terrorist attack. My mum's thinking of calling in some outside help. A white hat hacker or someone similar to try and figure out how they're doing this. Whoever it is must be depressed as fuck though, with that emo playlist. It's bringing everyone down."

About an hour ago, Jeisa had hijacked all the Wraith Hamlet radio frequencies using the hospital's radio transmitter and was playing her very own heartbreak playlist. She had just played Selena's 'The heart wants what it wants' on repeat three times. Now she was sipping up electric energy from her connection for a buzz as she played 'Stay High' by Tove Lo. Jeisa looked up at the sky, smiled to herself and switched songs, playing 'Iris' by the Goo Goo Dolls to properly qualify that "emo playlist" comment.

"Jesus! This is torture. I'm going to find a hot nurse to flirt with." Robyn said, standing up to leave. "I just came over to say that Cass is asking to see you. Begged me to convince you to come over."

"Yeah?" asked Jeisa. She still wasn't sure if she ever wanted to see Cass again.

"Yeah." said Robyn.

"Begged?" Jeisa questioned with a raised brow.

"Yup. She's the tiniest of steps away from grovelling." Robyn confirmed with a sad smile before turning around and walking back into the hospital.

Jeisa sat there for a little while, playing Keri Hilson's 'Energy', wondering how she could face reality again and deal with this thing between her and Cass. Because she would eventually have to face it. As much as she wished she could, she couldn't walk away. She finally released the frequencies, playing one last song to hype herself up for what was coming.

'Battle Scars' by Guy Sebastian.

Jeisa was riding the elevator down to Cass' level, singing along with that last song still playing through the frequencies, when the elevator stopped two levels above Cass'. A girl in a wheelchair wheeled herself into the elevator. She looked about ten. Her face was a bit pale. Her bright blue eyes slightly sunken. Her head was covered in tiny fuzz. Jeisa immediately knew that they'd stopped the chemo.

"You ride a motorbike!" the girl said to Jeisa, her eyes wide with surprise and excitement.

"Yeah." said Jeisa. She was carrying her bike helmet in her right hand and her leather jacket and riding pants also made it pretty obvious that she'd come over on her sports bike.

"I love motorbikes." said the girl. "For my wish, I asked to ride one. But my doctors said that I couldn't."

"I'm sorry." said Jeisa.

"It's okay." said the girl shrugging. Then she smiled. "My mum let me watch 'Teen Beach Movie' again before bed last night. I like when the bikers sing. She played their song on repeat for me."