Chapter 17: Welcome To Lundur

The next morning crept upon Astrid slowly as she stepped up Bard's boat, alongside his companions who fatigued from partying the entire night. Astrid sat down onto the bench in silence, cradling her arms around her body in high hopes to forget her circumstance. She watched the villagers of Oliefsborg bid them goodbye happily. Her eyes scanned the crowds, meeting eyes with Jezebel who stood poised beside the waterline, hand in hand with Erick. Anger and disgust bubbled at the sight of them. Her eyes trailed on down the bank where she spotted Knute propped on a stool spinning a coin atop his fingers. She closed her eyes so she would not have to see him.

Soon the boats began to start moving slow and steady away from Oliefsborg as the large mass of people cheered and waved them away. Astrid felt a nervous pit grow into her stomach as she watched the village get smaller and smaller as they furthered away from the happy shore.

"Why are you not smiling?" Bard asked Astrid as he sat down beside her closely on the long hard bench.

Astrid scooted herself to the left slightly providing a tiny amount of space between them.

"I have no reason to smile." Astrid stated, wringing her hands on her lap. "It is as if the what light I had in my life has left. There is nothing but darkness."

Bard laid his hand upon her knee where he began rubbing his thumb over the dirt covered trouser.

"There is many reasons to smile." Bard commented. "On the bright side, you could be a slave to someone else much meaner than I. That is a good reason to smile."

Astrid scrunched her face up in disgust. "You really think that I am happy to be with you. I would rather be dead!" She argued, averting her gaze from him.

Bard neared her wrapping his arms around her neck from behind. "I do not know why you hate me so much, but you probably should get over yourself or you will not make it in Lundur." He patted her on the chest. "I may just have to settle you down." He grumbled in her ear, leaning his head upon her cheek.

"You make me sick!" Astrid spat back in response, pushing his arms from her body forcefully. "I do not need to be settled down, I need to be left alone and I will be just fine with this life."

Astrid turned to face Bard once again. "Have you ever desired something so badly that you would do anything for it?"

Bard pooched out his lip and nodded his head.

"Yes, Astrid I can say that I have." He mumbled. "That something is you. I have went to great extents to have you by my side and I will go to great extents to keep you there."

Bard began to trace his rough fingertips along the back of Astrid' exposed neck. "Tell me my dear, what is it that you desire?"

"My freedom." Astrid blurted out, looking up to the sky as a fish jumped against the water's heavy currents. "What if I agree to stay with you forever." She locked her eyes with his piercing gaze. "Can you at least call me a free woman and not your slave? I will do anything just allow me to be free once again in my life." Her shaky voice pleaded.

"I suppose that marriage could be an option." Bard suggested, patting her knee.

Astrid swallowed nervously at the thought of marriage. Marriage to Bard would be the next thing to slavery she thought to herself.

"I guess it is something to think about."

"Of course we would have to wait a while after our return." Bard informed her with a raise of his brow. "I cannot trust you yet. Also, I must see what you are made of."

Astrid squinted her eyes. "What do you mean 'what i am made of'?"

"I have to see how strong you are at heart." Bard shrugged his shoulders. "It is only a test to see how much you can handle. My wife cannot be weak that is a trait that I cannot have."