Chapter 30: Betrayal

"Astrid!" Deman shouted, shaking her violently awake. "Astrid wake up! They have taken Lorna!"

Astrid jumped up hastily, pushing the covers from her body. "What do you mean they have taken her!?" She asked, pulling on her leather shoes.

Deman paced the floor frantically, running his fingers through his hair. "I do not know how this could happen!"

"What are you talking about, Deman?" Astrid questioned confused, watching Deman's strange behavior. Instead of responding, he focused his dead stare onto the floor below him in complete silence. "Deman?" Astrid whispered, moving closer toward him. "What is going on?"

"The Northmen have taken Lorna with them!" Deman shouted aggressively, disturbing the silence.

Astrid stared at him confused. "It simply cannot be, they are not leaving until morning."

Deman shrugged his shoulder, pointing to the open door of the balcony. "Go see for yourself." He suggested, throwing his hand vigorously into the air. "I guess they had a change of plans."

Astrid walked calmly onto the balcony that overlooked the land. She surveyed the dark outside world until she caught a vague glimpse in the distance of the fleet of Viking ships leaving the land.

"Lies." Astrid mumbled to herself, watching the ships with disbelief. "All you were was lies..." He voice faded away with the cold air that hit her exposed skin.

She remained on the outside for several minutes before entering back inside. Deman now sat on the edge of the bed, clinching a small slip of paper in his fist. Tears welled in his bloodshot eyes.

"When did you know she was gone?" Astrid asked, stopping beside the glowing fireplace.

"I made a pass through the halls as I do every night." Deman answered, standing upright. "That is when Camilla brought me this letter that she found on Lorna's desk." He shook his head. "No one heard her leave. They never seen a movement come from her room." He sighed desperately. "My dear Lorna just vanished."

Astrid took the small slip of paper from Deman's hand. She tried to smooth the thick, crushed paper. The words had been scrawled on quickly, making them difficult to read. She slowly read the words:

To my dearest uncle,
I cannot formally say my farewells, for I will miss my boat to a new world. Knute has promised to marry me and provide me a wonderful life in his homeland. Do tell my suitor about my departure before he arrives. I would hate for him to not have a bride after a long journey. I bid you well and much love.
-Lorna

Astrid crumpled the slip of paper in her hand, dropping it to the ground. She felt her heart sink.

"We must go after her!" Deman cried, moving toward the door. "My niece is-"

"No!" Astrid cut him off quickly, chasing after him. She caught him by the arm and pulled him close to her. "You cannot risk it." She shook her head. "Lorna chose to leave. She done what wanted and went down the path she desired. You have to let her go."

Deman's mouth dropped open, while a shrieking wail came. He bent forward, crying out sorrowful cries that echoed throughout the room. Astrid closed her eyes tightly, breathing heavily.

"How could she do this to me!?" He cried out, dropping to the ground. "She has ripped my heart out and left me empty."

Astrid knelt beside him, pulling him close to her warm body. "She was selfish and could not see the love that was in your heart for her. She could only see what she wanted and did not care about others. That was just how Lorna was. " She rubbed peaceful circles on his back. "If she could see you now, she would have never left." Astrid paused, holding Deman tightly against her.