Chapter 34: Greetings From the Castle

"I am afraid I cannot do that." Erick stated, strolling inside the room. "You see, Astrid, I cannot risk the lives of everyone in Oliefsborg or the lives my wife and child." He stood on a single heel, staring intensely back at Astrid. "You are the only thing that is keeping them alive."

Astrid shook her head, raising a brow. "I suppose that it is their time to die." She shrugged, approaching Erick. "We all must die, for it is our destiny. It is time you accept it."

"Curse you!" Erick shouted, running at Astrid aggressively. "I thought better of you! I thought you cared for those you love."

"I love nothing anymore." She stated, crossing her arms across her chest. "You took everything left that was good in me, and now you expect me to care again. Erick, you truly made me a monster and now you will get to see it come out of me!"

Erick angrily inched himself closer to Astrid. She stood erect, arching her shoulders back with pride.

"I despise you." Erick gritted his teeth as he circled around Astrid. "I-"

"I do not care whether you like me or not. Quite frankly, I do not like you either. I hold no care for your wife or child! You all betrayed me." Astrid yelled, hastily cutting him off. "Can you not just leave me alone? Why does your world revolve around my life? I would have rather you just killed me years ago with my family than have me constantly wondering who will die next because I do not do your every whim." She glared at him coldly. "What is so special about me that causes you to search everywhere for me?"

"Bard has went mad with the thought of you burnt into his mind." Erick stated, stopping beside Lorna who was curled up on the floor. "You are the only one who can stop his rampage."

Astrid stared at him without speaking a word. She shook her head, looking around the room.

"I strongly believe that you all are insane." Astrid mumbled, locking eyes with Erick. "I have not seen anyone be normal from Oliefsborg!" She furrowed her brows. "I think the best thing that could happen for your people is to be wiped out completely and start over. You are all mad like a wild animal!"

Erick's flushed bright red with anger. He flared his nostrils and gritted his teeth. "How dare you speak of my people like they are some kind of animal!" he rared his hand back. "I spared you your life and this is how you repay me!? I valued you, Astrid."

"I have remained innocent." She replied, bracing herself for impact.

Erick huffed loudly, striking the side of Astrid's face. Astrid shook her head, regaining her mind from the hit. She glared back at him, holding her intellectual posture.

"Never have I betrayed you or Oliefsborg." Astrid stated. "I remained loyal to you as a master until you sold me to your terrible son! In Lundur I stared death in the face and yet I am the evil one because I fled to save my life." She angrily stepped closer to him. "You were the one who caused it all; not I. Remember Erick, you drew blood first; I am only here to stop the bloodshed."

Erick drew back again. "I believe you are making a mistake, Astrid."

Astrid slyly grinned back at him. "I am not the one who is making the mistake." She responded, tightening her posture once agin.

Just as Erick drew back to strike Astrid again, the doors burst open and in rushed Deman, with his sword drawn.

"I suggest you step away from my wife." Deman boldly stated, moving closer to them. Erick glared back at him, jerking Astrid by the arm. "I said, step away from my wife."