46. Last Game

Leah's POV.

The days leading up to the final game of the season felt like an eternity. After the devastating draw against Aston Villa, the pressure was palpable. Arsenal had to win against Manchester United and hope that Chelsea dropped points away to Liverpool to secure the league title. The stakes had never been higher, and the weight of the entire season bore down on our shoulders.

The tension in the training ground was thick, every drill and exercise executed with a sharpness born out of desperation. But there was a noticeable void.Sophia, our star striker, was suspended due to the red card she received in the match against Aston Villa. Her absence was a constant reminder of the cost of our mistakes and the challenges we now faced without her on the pitch.

I watched Sophia from a distance as she trained separately, working on her fitness and recovery. Her face was a mask of determination, but I could see the hurt and frustration simmering beneath the surface. She was a fighter, always had been, but missing this crucial game was tearing her apart.

The night before the match, as we were getting ready for bed, Sophia pulled towards her. Her expression was serious, her eyes filled with a mix of determination and worry. "Leah, I have something for you," she said, reaching into her pocket and pulling out a delicate bracelet.

I looked at it, surprised. "Sophia, what's this?"

"It's a good luck bracelet," she explained, fastening it around my wrist. "My nan gave it to me when I was a kid, and it's always brought me luck. I want you to have it for tomorrow."

Touched by her gesture, I hugged her tightly. "Thank you, Sophia. This means a lot to me. I'll wear it and think of you out there."

She smiled, her eyes misty. "I know you'll do great, Leah. Play your heart out, for both of us."

The morning of the match arrived, and the air was thick with anticipation. The fans were out in full force, their cheers and chants reverberating through the stadium. As we warmed up on the pitch, I felt a mix of nerves and excitement. This was it - our moment to make history, but we needed a bit of luck too.

In the changing room, the tension was tangible. We all went through our pre-game rituals, trying to calm our nerves and focus on the task ahead. Sophia, dressed in her team jacket, came over to me. She placed a hand on my shoulder, her eyes filled with determination. "Play for both of us out there, Leah. I'll be with you every step of the way."

I nodded, feeling a surge of strength from her words. "I will, Sophia. We'll do this together."

As we lined up to take the field, the roar of the crowd intensified. The first whistle blew, and the game was underway. The pace was relentless from the start, Manchester United pressing hard and fast. Our defence held strong, repelling their attacks and launching counterattacks of our own.

Every pass, every tackle, every shot was executed with precision and purpose. The minutes ticked by, each one feeling like an eternity. Then, in the 38th minute, we broke through. Viv found herself in space and unleashed a powerful shot that sailed past the Mary Earps. The stadium erupted in cheers, the scoreboard showing 1-0 in our favour.

But there was no time to celebrate. United pressed harder, determined to equalise. Our defence was tested to its limits, and we fought with everything we had to maintain our lead. The second half was a blur of action, our bodies and minds pushed to their breaking points.

As the final whistle blew, signaling our 1-0 victory, the stadium erupted into cheers. However, our celebration was muted, our eyes immediately turning to the scoreboard showing the current Chelsea score. The seconds dragged on, the tension almost too much to bear.