82. Celebration

Sophia's POV.

I woke up to the soft light of dawn filtering through the curtains, the warmth of the blankets cocooning me in a cosy embrace. Today was Christmas Eve, and more importantly, it was our first year anniversary. Despite everything that had happened, this day held a special place in my heart. Leah and I were taking things slow, rebuilding the trust that had been shattered, but I wanted to make today special for us.

I stretched, my mind already buzzing with ideas. I wanted to surprise Leah with a few things, small gestures that would remind her of how much I loved her and how committed I was to making things right. As I got out of bed, I felt a mixture of excitement and nervousness. I couldn't mess this up.

The first thing I decided to do was make her breakfast in bed. Leah loved a hearty, homemade breakfast, and I knew exactly what to make: pancakes, bacon, and scrambled eggs with chives. I tiptoed downstairs, careful not to wake her, and set to work in the kitchen. The smell of sizzling bacon filled the air, and I couldn't help but smile as I imagined her reaction.

As I cooked, I thought about the past year. It had been a whirlwind, filled with both joy and heartache. The memory of Magaluf still haunted me, but I was determined to move forward. I had spent the last few weeks in rehab, confronting my demons, and now I was ready to face the future with Leah.

Once breakfast was ready, I arranged everything on a tray and carried it upstairs. Leah was still asleep, her hair fanned out on the pillow, her face peaceful. I placed the tray on the bedside table and gently shook her shoulder.

"Leah," I whispered. "Wake up, love."

She stirred, her eyes slowly fluttering open. A smile spread across her face as she saw the breakfast tray. "Good morning," she said, her voice still thick with sleep. "What's all this?"

"Happy anniversary," I replied, leaning down to kiss her forehead. "I wanted to surprise you."

She sat up, her eyes shining with gratitude. "This is amazing, Sophia. Thank you."

We ate breakfast together, talking and laughing, the awkwardness that had lingered between us slowly dissipating. After we finished, Leah insisted on helping me clean up, despite my protests.

Once the kitchen was tidy, I told her I had another surprise planned. "We're going out," I said, a mischievous grin on my face.

"Out? Where?" she asked, her curiosity piqued.

"You'll see," I replied, leading her to the car.

I drove us to the outskirts of town, to a small, secluded spot where we had spent one of our first dates. It was a beautiful little clearing in the woods, with a small stream running through it. We had packed a picnic that day, and it had been one of the happiest moments of my life.

When we arrived, Leah's eyes widened in surprise. "I can't believe you remembered this place," she said, her voice filled with emotion.

"Of course I did," I replied, taking her hand. "This place is special to me, to us."

We spent the morning walking through the woods, reminiscing about the past year, and talking about our hopes for the future. It felt good to be out in nature, away from the prying eyes of the world, just the two of us.

After our walk, we headed back home. I had one more surprise planned for the evening. While Leah took a shower, I prepared the living room, stringing up fairy lights and setting out a cosy blanket and pillows in front of the fireplace. I wanted to recreate the magic of our first Christmas together, the night I had asked her to be mine.

When Leah came downstairs, her eyes lit up at the sight. "You've really outdone yourself," she said, her voice filled with admiration.

I shrugged, trying to play it cool. "I just wanted to make today special."