Duck Calls and Hunting Boots-Chapter 3

"Trenton, put me down now!" I screeched as he carried me out into the pond. I pounded on his back and kicked, but despite the grunts he wouldn't budge. "I HATE YOU, TRENTON!" I managed to get out before my face broke the surface of the water and I was soaked.

When I finally surfaced, I noticed everyone was laughing and red in the face. I smirked as an idea popped into my mind. Hopefully they didn't notice I was above water. I slowly ducked back under and swam swiftly and soundlessly to the dock, where I could breathe and not be seen.

"Anna!? Anna, where are you?!" the worried tone of Alia blurted. I heard the lawn chairs being pushed back and the sound of feet splashing as they stepped into the water. I smiled and submerged in the water and let my body seem lifeless.

"Oh my gosh, Anna?!" Sadie's voice cried, sounding as if the were near me. I smirked under the water. I came up suddenly splashing Sadie. "OH MY GOSH, ANNA! WHY'D YOU TO THAT?"

"I'm so-rry. But y'all were all laughin' at me," I sassed her. She rolled here eyes and called everyone over. I hopped onto the dock and smiled at them.

"Anna, you're such a butt!" Emily squealed and pushed me off the dock. I popped up above the water, gasping for breath and spitting out water. I narrowed my eyes at her and put my hand up signaling her to pull me up. I smiled as she grabbed my hand and I jerked her into the water beside me.

I smiled and pulled myself onto the dock before she surfaced. Cole, Trent, Alia and Sadie Looked at me with amused expressions on their faces. Where Lauren looked at me like I was an idiot.

"Well, why don't we get our folks out here and have us a cookout?" John Luke asked. We shrugged and nodded. I smiled and walked over to out towels, grabbed my phone and called the house.

"Hey, Grey. What up?" Matt answered the phone.

"Y'all come on out to the pond, bring food and the grill, we gettin everyone out here for a cookout!" I explained to him. I heard a whooping in the background and figured I was on speaker and Eli, Matt and Ethan had friends over. "And bring your buddies."

"Sure thing. We gonna stop by the store and get some stuff. What we need?" Eli called over the blaring television. Can you say football?

"Bring some stuff out the freezer. Squirrel and deer! Pick chips up at the store Chicken and Waffle and Regular. Get some soda's. Bring lots of sweet tea!" I commanded him, well them. Laughter was heard and then some hollering.

"I reckon y'all're invitin' that Robertson clan?" Ethan asked me.

"Sure am! Y'all go ahead and invite Kelsey! Oh and bring Magnus and Fluffy!" I said.

"Anna! How you doin?" a sweet, deep males voice asked. My heart started beating uncontrollably as I tried to find the words to reply.

"I'm doin' fine, Braydon. How are you? It's been a while, ain't it?" I replied evenly. He chuckled and my heart fluttered.

"That's good, Grey. I've been great. Been missin' home though, and yeah, it has been a while. Am I invited to y'all's cookout?" he replied.

"Of course," I replied.

"Anna Cole, come here!" Cole called and I sighed.

"Comin', Cole! Bye, Matt, Ethan, Eli, Braydon and whoever else is there!" I called and received a chorus of 'byes'. I hung up and tossed my phone on the towel. I turned and skipped to where Cole was. "Whatcha want?"

"Who all's comin?" he asked.

"My brothers, Braydon and some other people I think," I told him quickly. He nodded and turned to look at the worn dirt path. A truck was rumbling down the trail quickly.

"There's Dad," called John Luke. I smiled when I saw Si hanging out the window like an idiot. I rolled my eyes and waved.

"Let's have us a dang good food cook!" he screamed at us.

This is gonna be a great cookout!