12. Her Double Life

UN Protocol on Trafficking: Criminalizes trafficking, ensures victim protection and safe return.

CEDAW: Prevents violence and trafficking, guarantees legal support.

UDHR Articles 3 & 9: Right to life, liberty, security; protection against arbitrary detention.

South Korean Acts: Punishes trafficking, promotes gender equality, protects domestic violence victims.

Consular Assistance: Emergency help, legal aid, repatriation from embassies.

Reading this and some of the other documents, it seemed like she was deeply involved in a case, tirelessly trying to help someone who was being held forcefully in Paris.

"Jungkook," Jimin hyung's voice broke through my thoughts. I turned to him, sensing the urgency and concern in his tone, as he continued.

"The password on her laptop... it's like trying to break into a vault. Multi-factor authentication, encryption—it's not just a password. I've hit a wall here. This isn't some easy entry, and every attempt is just locking me out further. Whoever set this up really knew what they were doing," he relayed to me. Out of all the people I know, he is the most talented when it comes to computers.

"Really, hyung? She's just a college student, and you can't even crack her password?" I teased, knowing that this would definitely spur him on. His competitive spirit wouldn't let this go, and I knew he'd crack it, no matter what it took.

"Yeah, a college student with a double life," he said, pointing at a water bottle. The brand name on the bottle seemed a bit unusual, and I had seen it somewhere before. He continued, "Cyber Breaker—it's a popular site for people who are into programming. There was a bug hunting challenge in 2021, and the people who participated and made it to the final round got this package with a water bottle, a pen, and a few other things, all branded with the name Cyber Breaker. I was also a finalist," he said to me.

"Okay, that's why it looked familiar," I said, trying to wrap my head around the possibility of her being a hacker. I couldn't understand her. "Or maybe someone gifted her this, and that someone must be the one who prevented you from hacking the system," I suggested.

"Maybe," Jimin hyung replied, nodding thoughtfully. "But I need more time to hack it. Let's take the hard drive, and I'll work on it at my place."

He was right. This would require more time and resources than we had on hand. I nodded in agreement. "Okay, let's do that. We need every clue we can get."

"We need to investigate more about her double life," he said to me, his tone serious.

"Are you serious, hyung? A double life, just because she has this weird water bottle or because you couldn't crack her password?" I said, trying to mask my frustration with a hint of skepticism.

"And don't forget about how she got into that club. I think Yeri must have gone to her for help, and Y/N might have a secret agency, like some vigilante assassins. That's why she was there at that time of night," Jimin hyung said, his eyes wide with a mix of excitement and suspicion.

I looked at him, dumbfounded. Is he serious? "No, hyung. And as far as I think, Yeri didn't even know Y/N," I replied, trying to bring some rationality back into the conversation.

"Who is Yeri?" I heard a voice behind me, and I turned to see a girl with a confused expression. Damn it, what's her name again? Come on, Y/N's friend, yeah, Jennie. Fuck, just make something up, but hyung beat me to it.

"Yeri is my cousin, and she's in the same college as Y/N. But—" Jennie cut hyung off, saying, "Is she the one who said Y/N was hanging out with some older guy?"

"No, she's—" I interrupted hyung before he could finish, determined to steer the conversation. "You must know this guy. Well, you're the one who confidently said last time that Y/N doesn't have a boyfriend."

"Well, she doesn't have a boyfriend, and the guy you're talking about—is it him?" Jennie turned her phone towards us, displaying a photo.

In the photo, Jay B. How could I forget him? I glanced at hyung, who mirrored my anger as we both looked at the photo. We had a long history with him, controlling all the emotions bubbling within, I said to Jennie, "Can you send this photo to me? I need to check with hyung if he's the guy hyung mentioned."

"Hyung," Jennie asked, confusion etched on her face as she suspiciously looked at me.

"He means with me. As Yeri is my cousin, I'll send her this photo," he said awkwardly, trying to cover up our exchange.

She continued to look at us skeptically, clearly not trusting anything we said. What the hell is her problem?

"His name is Jay B," Jennie said, her voice tense with apprehension. I clenched my fists, feeling a surge of anger at the mention of his name. I fucking know him.

"He had some information on something Y/N has been working on for a while," Jennie continued, her words hanging heavily in the air.

"He's a thug, who works in human trafficking. What kind of information does she need from him?" I demanded, my tone laced with disbelief.

Jennie looked down, her expression filled with guilt. "I tried to stop her, but all she cared about was saving someone."

"Why the heck didn't you tell me about anything that she's been involved with people like him?" I pressed. Now I had someone to blame—Jay B. He was the perfect pawn in this twisted game.

"Because the case Y/N has been working on involves so many influential people from Korea and also from other countries, and all the information regarding it is really confidential. She worked really hard on it for the past 1 year, so I was so confused about whether I should really tell you or not," Jennie explained earnestly, her expression serious.

Jennie's gaze bore into mine, and I couldn't shake the feeling of accusation that seemed to emanate from her eyes. What was she implying?

"Every detail you want about the case she's working on will be in her system, and the system password is 'Bang&Olufsen.' But if you've already tried and failed to access the system in the first attempt, you can't get in even if you enter the correct password," Jennie continued, her tone laced with a mixture of admiration and concern. If Y/N is the one who set up the security program in her system, then she's truly a genius.

"Only Y/N can unlock it then," Jennie said, leaving me feeling frustrated. "Okay, great," I muttered under my breath, trying to hide my annoyance.

"Who programmed her security?" Jimin hyung asked, echoing my thoughts.

"Y/N, who else," Jennie replied, and I couldn't help but marvel at her skills. "She's really good with computers," Jennie added, as if that explained everything. But it didn't make sense to me. Why would Y/N choose to be a lawyer if she had such talent with computers?

"I'll take the hard drive then try to hack the system," Jimin hyung said, determination in his voice. I glanced at him, sensing a hint of wounded pride. Finally, he had found someone who could challenge him.

"Yeah, you can. I'll inform Felix. Actually, he called to tell me that you are here and he couldn't come because he's at Hyein's school, and there's a meeting, so it will take some time," Jennie informed us.

"Okay," I nodded, my mind still lingering on the documents scattered on the table. Now I understood why Y/N had notes on laws about trafficking and domestic violence.

Feeling a stare directed at me, I glanced at Jennie, who quickly looked away. There was something she was hiding, something she wanted to say but held back.