4. engulfed in fire

Penelope remained awake through the night, tears streaming down her cheeks as she grappled with the reality of her situation. She had attempted to engage in conversation with Mister Clover, but the encounter was painfully awkward. His struggle to articulate words combined with his unpleasant smell made the interaction highly uncomfortable for her.

As Penelope's mind raced with possibilities, she considered each option carefully. Running away seemed futile; her mother's promise was binding, and she couldn't risk the shame of being compromised. Marrying someone else was improbable too, given the constraints of her circumstances. With each option seeming more unlikely than the last, Penelope felt trapped, her future dictated by a promise made without her consent.

Suddenly, a soft knock echoed through the room, interrupting Penelope's solitude. Penelope's voice trembled as she uttered, 'Please go away, Rae,' she muttered, her voice heavy with exhaustion. But Rae persisted and came in, her smile betraying amusement as she addressed Penelope.

'Miss,' Rae began tentatively, 'I beg your pardon for the interruption, but... you have a visitor.' Penelope's eyes narrowed slightly as she turned her attention to Rae, a flicker of recognition dawning in her gaze. 'Is it... who I think it is?' she started, her voice trailing off as she hesitated to utter the name aloud.

Rae nodded in confirmation, her smile growing slightly. Penelope hesitated for a moment, her mind racing with conflicting thoughts and emotions. Finally, she shook her head and said firmly, 'Tell him to depart, Rae.'

Rae's expression softened with understanding, 'I have already attempted to persuade him, Miss. However, he refuses to depart until he has exchanged words with you.' Penelope's resolve was evident as she shook her head. 'You heard my mother, Rae. I am not permitted to see him. Kindly inform him that my mother has discovered his letters, and I am thus forbidden to engage in communication with him.'

Rae approached quietly, her voice a soft whisper. 'Miss, I have checked. Everyone is asleep. Just thought I would mention, if you wish to see him. He seems adamant about not leaving until he has spoken with you.'

Penelope glanced at Rae, who appeared genuinely happy for her. Yet, a twinge of uncertainty nagged at her. This situation had the potential to end extremely poorly. Despite the fear gnawing at her, an inner voice urged her forward. With one final swipe at her eyes, Penelope drew in a deep breath, steeling herself for what lay ahead.

Penelope stepped out of her room and descended the stairs, her eyes scanning the foyer. Not finding him immediately, she proceeded towards the front door. It was then that she spotted him, standing a few steps behind the door, still outside. His gaze lingered on her nightgown, revealing a hint of her cleavage. Approaching him, she asked with a mixture of surprise and curiosity, 'What are you doing here?'

'I needed to see you,' he confessed, his tone earnest. Penelope's expression softened, but she shook her head gently. 'That is no longer a possibility,' she replied firmly.

'What do you mean?' he asked, his eyes shining in the moonlight. Penelope hesitated, her heart heavy with the weight of her impending marriage. 'I am to be wed to Mr. Clover and not supposed to correspond with another man,' she explained softly. Colin's eyes widened in disbelief. 'Especially not you' she added, her voice a whisper. After a long moment of silence, he took a hesitant step towards the entrance of the house. 

'Don't come in,' Penelope urged, her voice trembling with urgency. 'If I am seen with you... I will have to face severe consequences.' Penelope's heart pounded in her chest as Colin insisted on speaking with her further. 'It is best for both of us if you just leave,' she urged, her voice tinged with desperation. But Colin's determination remained unwavering. 'No, I must talk to you. Accompany me,' he insisted, turning away from her and taking a few steps out the door.